What's new

In The Old Cotton Fields Back Home

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
992
Golden Thread
0
I was raised on a cotton farm, and we had pickers(people) up and down those rows for years. Has anyone explored those legacy fields before wit metal detectors? I am considering getting permission to look on the land my grandfather cleared with a mule and wagon. Seems to me that those smaller, older family farms would be very interesting. Even if the pickers weren't generally carrying much for valuables, and I picked some cotton myself, HARD, HOT WORK!, you'd think the hunting would be rather easy and that a shovel wouldn't be taboo. Thoughts? The idea of those pickers in those fields all day long, intrigues me. martin
 
My opinion is that you'd find very little, being that the only reason is that pickers are picking is because they were poor and had little very money...

Go look where ther'd be money...pay table under shade...in barns, crappers, and the like.
 
stefen said:
My opinion is that you'd find very little, being that the only reason is that pickers are picking is because they were poor and had little very money...

Go look where ther'd be money...pay table under shade...in barns, crappers, and the like.

My brother said that they were paid at the end of the day in cash, and there were only two shade trees out in the fields on the property. I didn't watch where it was done being I was so young. It's a ways off in the future before I'd go there, and I have the home sites to primarily look at first. All those delta land homes were depressionary residents, so maybe there's a cached somewhere to be found. Lots of looking places besides the fields, but the fields would be easy running in all metal, and fast. martin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom