Information Please

jag1022

Nov 23, 2008
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
I spend some weekends in Roswell and would be interested in going out to MD in the area. I am new to MDing.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jag,

I'll be coming in from Dallas If I get to come at all. I know there are a few ghost towns in the area, but don't have a clue about who would own them. Do you have any places in mind?

jag1022

Nov 23, 2008
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
Depends on how far from Artesia you are willing to travel. About an hour from Roswell is the Hondo Valley and Lincoln (home of Billy the Kid) and many older abandoned houses. However, close to Roswell, other than the park, I'm not sure of any good places to go.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely be willing to travel a couple of hours each way to hunt. If I get to come out, it will be the week of February 16 - 20. If you would be free to go MD'ing then, let me know.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
ThTx, it's too bad that I can't detect with you. My time comes in mid April. I live in Minnesota and have been ghost town hunting in New Mexico for two weeks every yr for 6 yrs now. I only covered the lower 2/3rds of the state due to larger cities (and detectorists) in the northern 1/3rd. I look at old original N M state maps (1928 and newer) to make plans for the next year's detecting.
Anything east of Artesia, to me, was all oil related.....although there might be some old (now gone) cities there, I did not venture that much into the area.
These towns were on an old map printed in about 1928 by the New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources. The names were historic cities, trading posts, ghost towns, and stage and rail stops. Oh heck, I'll be at it all night...... I'll P M or email you with info. Goose

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose,

Thanks for the info and PM - I should have read the post before the PM, then I would have known about mid-April for you. But I might be able to get a few days in April, also. Just have to wait and see about that.

You're right as far as I can tell. East of Artesia is either oil or gypsum mining. There is an old school north east of Artesia (I think it is called Acme) I may try one of these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions