What's new

Interesting Article....For What Its Worth........

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

REUTERS POLL
Analysts polled - gold and silver price predictions and comments
Poll results and some comments from analysts as to what lies ahead in gold and silver prices this year and next.

Posted: Friday , 17 Jul 2009

LONDON (Reuters) -

Following is a selection of analysts' views on the outlook for gold, silver, platinum and palladium prices, gathered as part of the Reuters precious metals price poll for 2009 and 2010.

The survey was carried out over the last three weeks.

Summary data is also detailed below.



GOLD

2009 2010

Mean 937 990

Median 930 975

No of F'casts 45 42





DAVID MOORE, ANALYST, COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA

"A spike to around the $1,000/oz level is certainly plausible in the next year, most likely associated with a period of U.S. dollar weakness. But if the gold price does cross the $1,000/oz line, we do not expect it to stay there.

We expect that the gold price will be volatile over this period, as the main rationale for investor demand for gold shifts from safe haven demand to a demand based on gold as a hedge against U.S. dollar weakness and, for some investors, perceived inflation risks."



PATRICIA MOHR, VICE PRESIDENT, ECONOMICS, SCOTIABANK GROUP

"I expect prices for both gold annd silver to have another run-up at some point, as the U.S. dollar comes under further pressure, as sovereign wealth funds and China balk at huge U.S.Treasury issuance and some signs of rising inflation re-emerge -- probably towards the end of 2009."

"However, gold prices are expected to eventually fall back to more normal levels, once the global economic recovery takes hold and investors shift further into "more risky" assets such as equities and "emerging-market" equities."



DAVID THURTELL, ANALYST, CITIGROUP

"Gold is basically dollar-driven, but there are expectations that all this monetary stimulus is going to spark inflation concerns, and therefore interest in gold.

There is a view that if world growth is in a gradual recovery trend, that will eventually help fabrication demand."



PETER FERTIG, CONSULTANT, QUANTITATIVE COMMODITY RESEARCH

"The major factor for the precious metals markets will be the recovery of the global economy and inflation fears. While it should become more and more obvious in Q4 of this year that the economy has reached the bottom and is improving, inflation is not expected to re-emerge.

The U.S. dollar is traditionally weak in Q4, which should help precious metals in the final quarter of this year. Fund buying might be the dominating factor for gold and silver in this period."



DAVID BEAHM, VICE PRESIDENT, ECONOMIC RESEARCH, BLANCHARD &

CO

"We believe very strongly that the dollar is going to fall, and we will have inflation. The real question is when is that going to happen. Once the banks begin to feel comfortable with lending money, certainly we are going to see some high inflation. As the economy continues to get better - although it

will be relatively slow -- commodities prices will be one of the few assets that will perform very well, not just this year, but over a period of time."



JAMES TURK, FOUNDER, GOLDMONEY

"...sadly, policymakers in Washington are not taking any steps to turn the dollar around and put it back on the right course by defining the dollar once again as an unchanging weight

of gold."



DAVID WILSON, ANALYST, SOCIETE GENERALE

"Gold will be dollar-driven during the summer as the market is likely otherwise to be directionless. If anything, prices in local terms are likely to come down.

Physical demand should pick up in the fourth quarter, but this from a very low base, and dehedging is also slack. We are looking for dollar weakening and nerves over inflationary implications of quantitative easing, suggesting fresh risk hedging to lift prices in 2010."



SILVER

2009 2010

Mean 13.71 14.53

Median 13.59 14.25

No of F'casts 42 40



SUKI COOPER, ANALYST, BARCLAYS CAPITAL

"As a precious metal, silver continues to attract safe haven flows as a cheap proxy for gold. However, with the exception of coin sales, we expect end uses of silver to remain weak over the forthcoming weeks and, in turn, investment demand has a larger void to fill.

Given the market balance is heavily dependent upon physical exchange-traded products to soak up the excess, net redemptions would not only expand the surplus but also add downward pressure

upon prices, as there is little fabrication demand elsewhere to meet any excess supply."



DANIEL SMITH, ANALYST, STANDARD CHARTERED

"We feel silver has benefited (earlier in the year) from the general safe haven story.

What we have seen in this quarter is generally that risk appetite has fallen away, so we are expecting most industrial markets to trend lower on the back of this story. Gold will be pretty well supported, but the rest of the complex will be hit.

In the early part of this year people got way too optimistic about the underlying economic picture, and now there is a reassessment talking place of what's really going on."



WOLFGANG WRZESNIOK-ROSSBACH, HEAD OF SALES, HERAEUS

"As far as the outlook (for silver) is concerned, its dependence on gold is expected to continue: should gold fall afresh, buying support from the industry and private investors -- which we have observed it the recent past -- will not be able to prevent the white metal from falling further."
 
Upvote 0
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

interesting....it has always been my findings that when gold is high, silver is too. gold and silver are also high when gas prices are high. so if you want to know about the price of silver just watch the price of gas and gold :laughing7:
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

i agree rich. at the rate we are going all of our currency will be WORTHLESS in no time. from what i have seen out of washington lately the mindset is nothing but print and spend, or should i say print and throw away. the wise investors are turning away from stocks and bonds, cds and the likes and are buying real property for investments. gold, silver, land ,etc the things that are tested and proven to hold value
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

There are not many economists and pundits saying gold and silver are where you should be as far as investment/money advice.

I take this as a positive. Once you see everybody saying gold and silver are the place to be, and the kid bagging your groceries is saying to the checkout teller he wants to buy some silver or gold, it will be time to SELL, SELL, SELL.

PS Sometimes you hear people saying how Joe Six Pack is gonna go for silver over gold because it is cheaper. This is logically true, but my feeling is that if things get too bad economically, Joe Six Pack will be too concerned buying food, rent, etc, and will not have any money for silver or gold. I know many now who are not broke or poor who say that buying silver at 13 bucks an ounce is wasting money or foolish. They aren't gonna buy at 25, 30, etc.

I think the demand that will drive silver and gold way up will come from central banks, financial institutions, hedge funds, banks, wealthy individuals, people with healthy 401Ks and/or decent stashes of cash, etc. I believe the demand will be worldwide and there is only so much physical gold and silver to go around. But there are lots of lots of fiat dollars all over the world that will want a place to go.

I think gold and silver will be the next "bubble", but we are not near the top and have a long way to go before it "pops" and prices fall, like the stock market in the late 90's, real estate now.

By the time silver and gold really take off I am afraid many will not have the cash to buy any due to unemployment, big losses in their 401Ks, etc.

It's all just speculation though.

Jim
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

Interesting stuff LJ. Thanks for posting. I am an optimist and think that silver and gold will eventually sky rocket. When? Maybe in 2 years maybe in 20. Either way I have my stash here ready.

Golden Silver
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

That's why I get my gold in the wild. Finding new gold adds to the wealth of the country. Printing more money doesn't.
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

golden silver said:
Interesting stuff LJ. Thanks for posting. I am an optimist and think that silver and gold will eventually sky rocket. When? Maybe in 2 years maybe in 20. Either way I have my stash here ready.

Golden Silver

GS,

If we both believe that gold and silver will skyrocket, I think that we would be considered more pessimists than optimists according to society in general. For gold and silver to really take off, it is gonna mean that many things in the world have turned to crap, even worse than they may already have. When things are going well in the world, gold and silver are not the place to be.

The "optimists" think everything is gonna be okiedokie in the financial world. Just watch some of the pundits on the TV financial shows each day who keep saying things have already turned around and the recession is over.

Jim
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

I agree with you to an extent Jim. I think it will be awhile before we see the times of old. Probably not during this presidancy. It is a double edge sword. I am glad I have the silver I do as a just in case insurance policy but at the same time wish the dollar would go back up in value. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. I have already made money on silver but it is not what it potentially could be. Sometime in the future I believe there will be a temporary window in which it would be crazy not to sell your silver. It would not be unlike last August when silver was over 20 an ounce. I however think it could go much higher during this window of opportunity. What are your thoughts? Like I said it may not be likely during this next 4 years.

Golden silver
 
Re: Interesting Article....For What It's Worth........

golden silver said:
I agree with you to an extent Jim. I think it will be awhile before we see the times of old. Probably not during this presidancy. It is a double edge sword. I am glad I have the silver I do as a just in case insurance policy but at the same time wish the dollar would go back up in value. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. I have already made money on silver but it is not what it potentially could be. Sometime in the future I believe there will be a temporary window in which it would be crazy not to sell your silver. It would not be unlike last August when silver was over 20 an ounce. I however think it could go much higher during this window of opportunity. What are your thoughts? Like I said it may not be likely during this next 4 years.

Golden silver

GS,

I look at my gold and silver as INSURANCE against whatever could happen bad in the future economy. Like regular insurance-car, life, property- I hope I never have to use it. While much of what I own is in silver, and some gold too, all my family and friends are in traditional things like CDs, stocks, cash, etc. I don't want to see them all ruined if all that stuff goes down dramatically like some predict. The bad economy hurts my business. I would rather have gold and silver stay steady and make more money in my business. So I am not hoping for conditions that cause gold and silver to skyrocket.

But my gut instinct has been telling me to keep buying silver and gold for the past few years. I have learned to trust my gut instinct on investments and it has been right so far mostly. I have been forcing myself to hold back on buying any more lately in that I want to put away money for a house, as I believe in the next year it will be a good time to buy based on the prices dropping.

I think that there will be several peaks and valleys in gold and silver over the next few years. I would sell some of my silver in the 20s perhaps, but I don't think 20 is that rare in that we were at 21 already in this bull market, and the economy was in better shape then (at least based on what we knew). I really believe that we will see gold at 2000+ and silver at 30+ at some point in the next few years (it could go even higher depending on what happens to the dollar, middle east wars breaking out, etc.)

Nobody really knows for sure what is going to happen. Who would have thought oil could have reached 140 dollars per barrel, which it did not too long ago?

I think if PMs get to a point in the future where I can sell enough to break even, and still have a good amount left to gamble with, I may sell some then. Don't know for sure.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom