Interesting GOLD fragment.from 14th Century.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found last Friday, a small fragment of Hammered gold. Blank on one side due to damage by farm machinery. But some design and letters on the other side. being:: E*TVO*A. not very much to go by. but on searching through Latin inscriptions for coins from medieval times, l found one to fit.
DOMINE NE IN FURORE*TVO*ARGUAS ME. which was first used on Half Nobles in the reign of EDWARD 3rd. The fragment is 0.5gram and the complete coin would be 4grams so l have only found one eighth of the full coin. So by my reasoning it's Half Noble of Edward 3rd.

Edward III Half Noble Gold Coin

Attachments

• w964.jpg
    w964.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 13
Cool find mate....I bet you don't find the rest of it, they seem never to be found.:thumbsup:

SS

Very nice find.wow.way to go

Great find:icon_thumright:

Very nice even as a small bit.

Great find! Congrats and HH!

Great find! I don't see why that shouldn't be on the banner as every relatively modern US gold coin makes it. This hammered gold piece is old! I hope you are able to find the remainder.

I think I'd cry tears of joy if I ever found something that old and beautiful. Does this fall under the Treasure Act? Yeah, I know dumb Yank question.

Oh and I made a banner nomination.

Wow that would make me do the happy dance. Congrats!!

I think I'd cry tears of joy if I ever found something that old and beautiful. Does this fall under the Treasure Act? Yeah, I know dumb Yank question.
Hi, to answer your query re: reporting for treasure, gold coins unless 2 or more in close proximity do not have to be declared.. Many thanks for your nomination. Hutch..

Summary Definition of Treasure - The Treasure Act

I think your right on the ID, I got a Dutch imitation of the Ed III Half Noble. Never had anything Hammered Gold since, probably never will.

That field might have other wholes ones in it, worth a good effort.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 82
Congrats on the gold! Too bad it's broken....but even a piece of hammered gold is a great find!

I think your right on the ID, I got a Dutch imitation of the Ed III Half Noble. Never had anything Hammered Gold since, probably never will.

That field might have other wholes ones in it, worth a good effort.
I am going there tomorrow all being well and will def be giving it all my attention.... it takes a good detector and good attention to the small signals to find small gold.. Hutch.

I am going there tomorrow all being well and will def be giving it all my attention.... it takes a good detector and good attention to the small signals to find small gold.. Hutch.

agreed, clear all the foil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back