What's new

Intertwining hearts (just moved from Todays Finds)

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intertwining hearts (just moved from Today's Finds)

Just dug this pendant at a Rebel camp I've been hitting. According to page 158 of Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts," "cut out brass hearts were frequently embellished with a cloth center and worn on the hat or uniform by members of Virginia's Laurel Brigade of cavalry." This said, the pic in his book doesn't depict a second intertwining heart. Maybe this was worn by soldiers to remind them of loved ones? It could be civilian, but outside of colonial, nearly all the early brass found at this camp has been Yankee and Rebel related.

Thoughts? Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • heartspendant.webp
    heartspendant.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 262
  • heartspendant.webp
    heartspendant.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 248
Re: Intertwining hearts (just moved from Today's Finds)

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that it is the remains of a civilian dress pin, similar in nature to the one shown below.
 

Attachments

  • pin.webp
    pin.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Re: Intertwining hearts (just moved from Today's Finds)

Thanks, Creskol. I believe the hearts can move independently (clay has glued them together). Those vertical eyes I noted look the right size for receiving a small braided chain and I've been swayed by images like the below. Your image has helped me to re-think, though.
 

Attachments

  • 300.webp
    300.webp
    7 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0
Re: Intertwining hearts (just moved from Today's Finds)

The two of you sharing the same opinion is good enough for me. Thanks fellas. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom