Iowa diggers

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well then it's a BONUS for you, no competition. Around me there are plenty and many have hunted back in the 70's. I am lucky to find wheat pennies at old schools. All the silver has been plucked. Lord knows I have pounded many of them.

Rockets83

Mar 18, 2016
Eddyville, IA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AP Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just registered on the site, I'm from SE Iowa.
I would consider myself new to the hobby, but as a kid I had one of those Radio shack metal detectors. I tore up the yard digging everything that beeped on that thing.
I just got a Garrett, and I've been having as much fun researching as I am actually hunting.
So far I haven't hit any of my potential spots, but found quite a bit of clad in the yard and one 1911 wheat penny. I'm not sure but I think it has a mint mark. It's pretty beat up, so kind of hard to tell.

Talk to you later.
Jim

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GF and I are just starting up here in north Iowa. My GF is just starting out and I am just getting back into it after a very long break of more years than I care to think about.
My first detector was a compass relic magnum back in 79.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
:hello: Long time lurker coming out of the Iowa shadows. Based out of Des moines, I'm hunting primarily in Polk and surrounding counties. Once a month or so, I visit the southeastern part of the state down to Wappello Co. Once a year I also make it up to northeastern Iowa for 3-5 days trout fishing Bear Creek.

I hunt almost every day. Hit me up for a hunt if you're in the area. :icon_thumright:

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get down to the Des Moines area once in a while, my mother lives in West Des Moines. We'll have to give you a jingle when we head down that way next.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
We get down to the Des Moines area once in a while, my mother lives in West Des Moines. We'll have to give you a jingle when we head down that way next.

By all means, do.

There are no shortages of places to hunt. Many sites are seasonal outside the schools and maintained parks, but we have lots of them too.

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 65 miles north and east of you. I don't get down your way very often, but I do once in a while. Close as I normally get to your neck of the woods is Clarion.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im across the River from Fort Madison Iowa in a little town of Niota.

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digg'n , have you been detecting much this year?
Only the past few weeks since I got my first detector. I'm still learning it so basically staying around my yard for now. Although I got permission from the neighbor that has 2 lots from the 1890's.

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Digg'n, let me know if you want to detect some time! I detected ALOT 2 yrs ago, but kind of took last yr off. Wouldn't mind doing it again this yr.

2526justin

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2016
Grimes
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a good neighborhood where the original location of the state fair was. Pulling many wheats, some mercs, indian head penny, and a seated liberty. Would take someone out to my location if they take me to theirs sometime

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
:hello: Long time lurker coming out of the Iowa shadows. Based out of Des moines, I'm hunting primarily in Polk and surrounding counties. Once a month or so, I visit the southeastern part of the state down to Wappello Co. Once a year I also make it up to northeastern Iowa for 3-5 days trout fishing Bear Creek.

I hunt almost every day. Hit me up for a hunt if you're in the area. :icon_thumright:

Have you ever found anything of interest in the Des Moines area ?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever found anything of interest in the Des Moines area ?

I’ve not found anything historically significant if that’s what you’re asking. I’m hoping to one day find a Dragoon button, or some other relic from them… my personal “holy grail”. I’d also like to find some relics from the first U.S. Black officer WWI training camps. Otherwise, not much historically significant happened here.

One could always go search Buddy Holly’s plane crash site I suppose…lol.

Most hunts the past year and a half I’m primarily looking for gold jewelry and just scoop up the silver jewelry and coins along the way. It’s about the only way to find Iowa gold in any significant quantities.

Oldest identifiable coin to date is an 1886 Indian penny in very good condition. (Shrugs)

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One could always go search Buddy Holly’s plane crash site I suppose…lol.

The site is on private property. Lots of people leave things there, little mementos. The owners of the land keep a close eye around there and pay attention to anything strange going on. I would think someone walking around with a metal detector may qualify, but I've never thought about asking the owner to detect there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread