What's new

Iron Coin -Need Eagle Eyes

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Gang, Today I dug this iron coin(?). It is the same size as a nickel, and there are some letters, but the closest I can get is: ? AM or KAM or ? AN. I think it maybe too far gone for an ID, but YOU folks are guuuuuud! Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronCoinFront.webp
    IronCoinFront.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IronCoinBack.webp
    IronCoinBack.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 352
romeo-1 said:
Can you highlight the letters?

Romeo, The first letter could be an M or an N. I figured the closet ID could come from the fact that it is iron coin the size of a nickel. :dontknow: I'm not sure if the hole in the middle is original or not. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronCoinTraced.webp
    IronCoinTraced.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just curious as to how thick it is? Thanks
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Just curious as to how thick it is? Thanks

It's the same size as a nickel and in thickness too; although it's thinner in spots because of the rust. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I stand by my "provincial coin from Oshima province on the island Hakkaido" ID. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it is not a coin. I would guess it is a wheel off a cast irn toy of some sort...

AT%201-13%20cast%20airplane%20AmericanToyCars6.JPG


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Could be a washer. Most coins are not made of iron although the center section of the newer Mexican coins are.
 
Upvote 0
I've looked at this several times and have no idea. Sorry
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I'm thinking it is not a coin. I would guess it is a wheel off a cast irn toy of some sort...

AT%201-13%20cast%20airplane%20AmericanToyCars6.JPG


DCMatt

I agree, not a coin.
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I'm thinking it is not a coin. I would guess it is a wheel off a cast irn toy of some sort...
DCMatt

Matt, I looked at the antique cast iron wheels on the ones in our collection, and none were flat like this coin(?), so I checked pics on the Internet, and the wheels I found were beveled or had ridges like your airplane pic. I'm sure there were some wheeled toys made with totally flat wheels, but I can't find a pic.

Could it be the back to a button?

Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Wheel1.webp
    Wheel1.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Wheel2.webp
    Wheel2.webp
    9 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
rodgerdodger said:
It looks like an original " Simplex cap nail "used to fasten base sheet to the roof and other things. The nail is missing.
roger

http://www.simplexnails.com/OriginalDataSheet.html

Did they make those out of iron? Also, the nail would have to be the size of a straight pin because the hole is so tiny. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • StraightPinCoin.webp
    StraightPinCoin.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Hi Breezie
They were made out of iron and today they are plastic with the nail in it.
Could the writing on it say simplex. I have used the iron one years ago.
roger
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom