What's new

Iron Miners Cup

LauraO

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 3, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Iron Miner's Cup

My grandfather prospected for gold in the early 1900's and we still
have his pan as well as this small - but quite heavy - iron cup.
Though we've been told that this cup was for grinding the gold into dust,
I'm not quite sure that's true. I mean, why would you want to do that?

The object is about 4" tall, has thick walls, and the inside has a rounded
base (like a mortar). I was wondering if anyone could provide more
information of what this iron cup was used for.

Thank you so much.
 

Attachments

  • Photo147.webp
    Photo147.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 197
Re: Iron Miner's Cup

I believe that is the mortar of a mortar and pestle. If he used it for gold, I think they sometimes crushed some ore with the gold along with some chemicals to determine the purity of it. Somebody that is more familiar with gold prospecting could tell you better than I.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron Miner's Cup

From a mining tools web page:
_______________________________________________________________
Having a cast iron mortar and pestle is a convenient thing for lode prospectors to have. Mortars can be found in different sizes and are used to crush ore, which is then panned.
______________________________________________________________
There you have it...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron Miner's Cup

Yes,its a mortar.Used for sampling hardrock.You crush the rock in question in it and pan it out.Spent hundreds of hours on one of them!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom