What's new

Is it possible to ID this fossil? Even if plant or creature?

Hot diggity

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2014
Messages
447
Reaction score
333
Golden Thread
0
It's just a section of something larger & I doubt I'll ever know the species, but if I can learn if it was a water plant or animal that would mean something to me. Dug about an hour north of Toronto. Thanks & Happy hunting
 

Attachments

  • 1468340442046.webp
    1468340442046.webp
    38 KB · Views: 243
  • 1468340459795.webp
    1468340459795.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the larger section?
That is an arrow head picture you posted. Is that the correct pic?
 
Guys?! Look at the bottom left dark portion of the top pick. If you can't spot that... it has a spine or something I think
 
Last edited:
Plants got stuff like this too. So I asked. But totally a fossil
 
Last edited:
You can see it's outline on the other side. It's larger. I doubt that was the whole thing either. I only care because it's in my point
 
Obsidian is glass from lave, probably a fossil that was napped into a point.
What is this " section of something larger" you mentioned?

Very cool find!!
 
Thanks. I didn't mention obsidian & I'm aware it's a fossil stone worked into a point - likely limestone. What I meant by something larger is it's now only a portion of whatever it once was. See the larger cross section on the other side? You gotta think 3D & most of it's missing. Erosion & Indians. Looks like a trilobite head to me but I don't know
 
Last edited:
No worries I was buzzed & maybe a bit sensitive. Plants are cool but I'm hoping for a fish or whatever ID. It's definitely a marine something anyway. Imo
 
Hi, imho it could also be some specy of sea worm? Some were of a pretty size. Very cool find and it's the first time I see someone finding an arrow head in Canada on this forum. :thumbsup: Congrats! :occasion14:
Just curious, did you found it on land or under water?
 
Last edited:
Thank you Bill. Lots of arrow heads or hafted knives or anything down there in the soil! You never know. A friend & I do basic research & dig. I wish we had surface finds around these particular parts! The water's not very approachable at this area either. I wonder how they interpreted fossils.
 

Attachments

  • 1468366532678.webp
    1468366532678.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I did Google "sea worm fossil" and thought I was seeing part of the legs on your fossil. I was curious because I have a summer cabin in knowned abenakis territory and found some stone tools but no points. We also find many "cylinders" don't know if they are fossil or beads but some too small for beads. Good luck on your next hunt Hot diggity!
 
An hour north of Toronto...puts you in Precambrian Shield country, it's lousy with aquatic fossils, mostly trilobites and various worms. I used to collect them as a kid, you could split the shale open and find them. That's about the most i can contribute.
 
Thanks dogteam, ya the only fossils I have ever found around here have been aquatic & usually pretty small. If this one is a creature it's likely my biggest one. I have plants larger & that's about it. This area isn't exactly known for it's fossils. Appreciate your input
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom