Is there such a detector?

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread topic. Your reply is informative. I've read how most detectors output are geared for coin side reference figures. I figure that is why I constantly read in posts that experience inhearing the detector tones is a must, not an option to buy on a detector.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Truth1253,

No! What you need to do is hunt an area and use the layer technique. For example, choose an area about 30’ x 30’ and run your sensitivity say, 3 of 8 bars and work in multiple (North/South, East/West and x-cross) grid patterns. Once completed add additional sensitivity bars and repeat the searching process. Now this does take a bit of time, but rest assured you will miss very little targets both good and bad. A little hint: as you increase the sensitivity (looking for deeper targets) reduce the sweep speed to promote better field depth. I use this technique in my Historic Artifact Recovery (Unearthing History) business where advance searching techniques are warranted.

I hope this helps you,

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that I know of, as that would require a level of circuitry
that's currently not in our machines.

Q: WHY would you want to blank out the first 4" of depth?

Object sink into the soil, over time, based on their weight,
viscosity of the soil and physical design of the object itself.
There are many places I've hunted where the best coins are
found 1"-3" down in very hard packed soil..you'd miss them all
with a 4" minimum!

FWIW, deeper doesn't always mean older..dug a zincoln
once that was 8" down in a park, then dug a Merc dime
at 4" just 5' away.

Ok ok y'all are right it was just a thought. I was high ok[emoji319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought the same thing as have many I'm sure

Exactly take this for instance I'm in a 150-year-old city park and everybody litters daily which is sad, but it is what it is. I have pounded the first 4 inches like crazy and the litter keeps on coming. After I've worked this park for so many years i'd like to block out all that carbage concentrate on the good stuff. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody's bashing you. My favorite saying is "They can't shoot ya fer trying!" How are you going to find out anything new if you don't ask.

In my opinion, I'd scroll up to Professor of Engineerings post and read it a few times, it's spot on. Seems everyone now days wants to jump out the truck run over and scoop up pocketful's of goodies while ignoring the dreaded trash and be home in an hour. Use the profs. technique, and I'd be willing to bet good money your finds will increase and the really good keepers you seek will increase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread