Is This a scam

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife started the selling on ebay, sold a few items and it was going good , then all of a sudden a item sold ,buyer received item then messaged it would not fit saying they wanted a refund which was ok but refused to send item back , now has given a bad review and has made 8 or 10 messages about how shies gona complain if she dont get money, but still refuses to ship item back. just seems fishy , and ebay seems to care less. how do you seasoned sellers deal with this problem.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
My wife started the selling on ebay, sold a few items and it was going good , then all of a sudden a item sold ,buyer received item then messaged it would not fit saying they wanted a refund which was ok but refused to send item back , now has given a bad review and has made 8 or 10 messages about how shies gona complain if she dont get money, but still refuses to ship item back. just seems fishy , and ebay seems to care less. how do you seasoned sellers deal with this problem.
My wife and I have been selling on eBay full time for past 7 years.
They MUST send item back then once item is confirmed it has been sent back to your address they will refund the buyer.
Also, if they left negative feedback open a case with eBay and they can remove the feedback. We just had to have a negative feedback removed. They will only remove negative feedback if eBay thinks it was inappropriate feedback. Which in your case is inappropriate.
I would contact eBay and let them know what’s going on.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
My wife and I have been selling on eBay full time for past 7 years.
They MUST send item back then once item is confirmed it has been sent back to your address they will refund the buyer.
Also, if they left negative feedback open a case with eBay and they can remove the feedback. We just had to have a negative feedback removed. They will only remove negative feedback if eBay thinks it was inappropriate feedback. Which in your case is inappropriate.
I would contact eBay and let them know what’s going on.
Also, eBay can look at all the messages that have been sent between you and the buyer.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KodyB is correct. Things have gotten so weird I don't sell on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter and haven't in some time.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t buy much off of eBay anymore…I had a bad experience with a pcv valve purchase…The seller listed the item as new but when I received it the darned thing had oil residue in it…The seller told me that I would have to return the item to receive a refund but I was thinking that IF I returned the item they would probably turn around and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer…So I took the loss and left a neutral review…

We live and learn…And as I stated…I don’t buy very much online these days…I have gone back to brick and mortar…

Ed T

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy off Amazon. No problems. But its stuff like cat food, headache medicine, etc. Stuff I used to go to Wallymart for.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I too stopped buying and pretty much selling on ebay. Too many issues to deal with and life is too short for the hassles. Too many regulations which are slanted and not equitable to buyer and seller.

Only had one issue with Amazon when I purchased a computer electronics. When I received the item it would not work. I just chalked it up to experience and stopped buying electronics there too, instead turning to local electronics stores. Everything else on Amazon has been fine, even returns.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can leave a reply as a positive describing you will refund the money after the merchandise has been returned. I've left a few Good-Bad feedbacks to unethical buyers before. Just move on is all I can say and keep selling.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, call ebay customer service. Don't refund. What you have described is called 'feedback extortion' and the negative should be removed.

Ebay protip: If the first CS rep doesn't give you the results that you want, call back and talk to another one.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped selling on Ebay for the most part. Seems many people just want FREE stuff so they claim either they never rec'd it, too small, too big, broken, damaged, stolen at my mailbox, I've heard them all, yet they do not want to send anything back. Im done with that s%itshow.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I think you can leave a reply as a positive describing you will refund the money after the merchandise has been returned. I've left a few Good-Bad feedbacks to unethical buyers before. Just move on is all I can say and keep selling.
I agree! Don’t let one or 2 bad buyers affect you from selling on eBay.
My wife and I have sold full time on eBay for several years and have made more money selling on eBay than if we both had normal jobs. We have sold over $2,000 a week on multiple occasions and average between $1,000-$1,500 per week.
That’s not a bad living.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been selling (and buying) on eBay since 1999. Have sold well over 50,000 items. I occasionally have an issue similar to what you describe. I usually add a comment under their negative feedback describing the situation in detail, then I move on. I generally don't have more than one or two minor issues per year.

I've found that making sure you have great, close-up, detailed photos from all angles, plus an accurate written description including all flaws makes complaints almost non-existent.

And yes, the buyer is required to return the item in order to receive a refund per eBay's rules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread