gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, a friend of mine just purchased a supposed Hudson Bay Company steel spear point from Larry Gavin, Back to Earth in OH. He has also purchased a lot of small fancy agate points that are supposed to be originals from OR. I know 99.99% of all Hudson Bay items are fake and most of the Oregon fancy agate points are modern. Do any of you NA artifact guys know if the seller is on the up and up? Thanks1!

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures PLEASE !!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your always best to take the stance from anyone selling so called articles of historical significance it's your job to be the expert on authenticity.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've known Larry for the better part of 30 years, I've always found him to be a stand up, honest fellow.

Without pictures, that's about as much as I can say about the steel point.
That’s about all I’d need as a personal reference to take a risk on a purchase.

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while maybe we cant be experts on all related material, (define related) we can as collectors though at least expect ourselves to be experts on what's at hand to fully appreciate what we have.

your friend will know the answers on that topic, good or bad if he's serious about what he has chosen to purchase.

A serious dealer, on the other side, will have already made the efforts to properly vet the material before placing it in your friend's hands. Likewise, if the dealer cares about their reputation as a seller, then that person should offer a no-questions asked return policy

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly guys I cannot post photos. My friend does not live nearby and is not computer literate. I am only worried because although he has been collecting for a large part of his eighty years he gets burned here and there by trusting mail order sellers. He collects many other things than NA artifacts. The last time he asked me about an old knife he took photos with a film camera, had them developed and snail mailed them to me. I am only wondering about the reputation of the mentioned seller who sells to my friend via a letter sent out to prospective customers every month or so. To me a Hudson Bay Co steel spearpoint with very light rust and a very light HBC mark does not sound good which is why I ask if folks have had dealings with the seller. My friend says he needed a magnifying glass to see the HBC mark.

Joshua, thanks for your input, it is what I was looking for, hoping there were people who have purchased from him to give me an idea of the guy's honesty in dealing artifacts.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor old guy, just like me, takin photos with a film camera, sendin them to you in snail mail. If he takes those pics and sends them, you know you can scan them into your computer and post them here. It would be cool to see pics of his collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions