73.2 KB · Views: 271
  • trade2.JPG
    trade2.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 281
  • trade4.JPG
    trade4.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0
Hmmm.... I don't think it is but I really can't say for sure. My first impression was that it was a rock with some iron content in it but it does look as though the bottom of the "point" is folded up... does it go off under a detector?

Cannonman17 said:
Hmmm.... I don't think it is but I really can't say for sure. My first impression was that it was a rock with some iron content in it but it does look as though the bottom of the "point" is folded up... does it go off under a detector?

Yea.... I thought it was a rock when I found it. You are right, the tip is sort of folded or bent. It is NOT iron, as it does not respond to a magnet. I am at work now but will test it with a metal detector when I get home tonight. If it does not respond.... are you thinking Geofact?

If you are finding points made of worked glass, metal points would fit the scenario also, if these are all from the same site do you find any type of pottery?

Rege-PA said:
If you are finding points made of worked glass, metal points would fit the scenario also, if these are all from the same site do you find any type of pottery?

That's a good point (so to speak haha) But now that you mention it........ I do find a TON of broken pottery. I collect them all and I even have many pieces of the same item. The area that I find these not only saw thousands of years of Indian summer camping (to fish and hunt) but it saw Revolutionary and Civil War activity as well. Some of the pottery appears to be more European, though many pieces are what I believe to be Indian. This is the same spot where I have found three trade pies as well.

Adjusted contrast

Attachments

• TP.jpg
    TP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 222
That's a neat find!
It looks like it might have some indication being "hammered" somewhat.

Your piece could be copper. . . but without knowing what general area you found this in,
it may be difficult for someone on the forum to attribute this to a specific culture etc.

I hope you don't mind, but I copied then edited one of your images to show what your point MIGHT look like if
the tail was unfolded. . . maybe the unfolded shape in this edited pic below might help someone to ID it further.
Tradepoint-1.jpg
Take care,
watercolor

watercolor said:
That's a neat find!
It looks like it might have some indication being "hammered" somewhat.

Your piece could be copper. . . but without knowing what general area you found this in,
it may be difficult for someone on the forum to attribute this to a specific culture etc.

I hope you don't mind, but I copied then edited one of your images to show what your point MIGHT look like if
the tail was unfolded. . . maybe the unfolded shape in this edited pic below might help someone to ID it further.

Take care,
watercolor

What a great post! Thank you for doing the cut and paste thing........ I would not have thought of that. It was found in Northern Virginia, along the Potomac River..... near Alexandria. Also..... I am surprised that you could tell that in the photo, but when you hold it.... the first thing you notice is what look like small hammer marks on both sides.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back