It may look like crap, but it is a capped.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today with some buddies from our club. We hit my ghost town again today. We hunted a total of about 5 hours. My buddy Azmodeus found some coin finds and they were unusual for this area due to town died in 1843. He found a 1883 Indian and a Nickel from 1950's. I was detecting the same areas as the last time and pulled out another Capped Dime. It was a 1824 with a 4 over the 2 in the date. It looks like it had been in a fire and was very rough shape. Thanks for looking and HH.
Bruce

Attachments

• 1824 Capped Dime (Front) (656 x 832).jpg
    1824 Capped Dime (Front) (656 x 832).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 1824 Capped Dime (Back) (656 x 832).jpg
    1824 Capped Dime (Back) (656 x 832).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,328
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
I have dug many old silver coins -but have never seen 1 like this, it looks like its made of pewter :icon_scratch:

Thanks. I believe this one is made of well cooked silver. LOL

RELICDUDE07 said:
I have dug many old silver coins -but have never seen 1 like this, it looks like its made of pewter :icon_scratch:

I haven't dug any really old silver, but, it does look odd to me, as well. I figured silver would simply melt before it would oxidize all the way through (as it appears in the picture), this coin looks like it would crumble if pressure were to be applied. Kinda reminds me of a long buried zincoln.

Please don't think that I am trying to cast any sort of shadows on the authenticity, I have just never seen silver in this condition.....didn't know it could happen.

Any way you slice it it's not an everyday find so congrats! :icon_thumright:

camb1 said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

It tested as silver. This coin was found in the middle of farmland. It has been exposed to a lot of chemicals. I have seen Barber and Mercury Dimes in same condition. Pitted and Black.

camb1 said:
camb1 said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

It tested as silver. This coin was found in the middle of farmland. It has been exposed to a lot of chemicals. I have seen Barber and Mercury Dimes in same condition. Pitted and Black.

Aha! Yes, indeed......the fertilizers and pesticides that we have been eating for so many years. That explains a LOT!

Hey do I win the ugliest coin award? LOL

Considering it's misfortune, it still has great details on the back and you're still able to read a date. Pretty incredible!

I haven't found a caped yet, so ugly or not -good find in my book!!!! congrats man! HH and good luck! :notworthy:

Congrats on the capped! I found a Barber/ seated (not sure) that oxidized just like!! I too assumed it was a fire. Cool find for sure!!

Coilcrazy2 said:
Congrats on the capped! I found a Barber/ seated (not sure) that oxidized just like!! I too assumed it was a fire. Cool find for sure!!

Thank You. I have seen coins come out of farmland fields that have no detail at all due to pitting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back