What's new

it pays to pick up small flakes....

crj1968

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2014
Messages
816
Reaction score
696
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...as they may not be flakes!

teeny.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wife and I picked up 30#'s of flakes in Feb. Normally don't bring that many home but there were so many different types of rock that I wanted to show my knapping buddies the materials they used. I went thru them the other day and found a small flake point in the mix. I will have to photo the flakes and flake point and post it one day.
 
Hey hey you never know do you.... Glad u got you one
 
Score! Good for you,sometimes they like to hide.
 
Thanks all- I picked up a little flake....walked a bit further and said "there's another one." (yes...I talk to myself)

I did double take and was all coosakid-like "whoop whoop!"

Jon Stewart- 30LBS of flakes ??!
 
THAT'S the neatest tiny point I've ever seen ! Great find !

Oh thanks man... my uncle found one a few years back, even smaller and red, and unbroken. It's crazy.

He is a little hard of hearing....When I was at his place I said

Where'd you find that arrowhead unk?

It's in the bedroom.

I know, but where did you find it?

It's in that cabinet in the guest bedroom where you are sleeping. (at this point my Aunt starts cracking up)

Where did you find it OUTSIDE? I say, louder.

Of course you find them outside, dumb azz... he says

Aunt: He want's to know where you were when you found it Ken!

Oh, hell I don't remember.

:)
 
Last edited:
lots of the Columbia river stuff is tiny like that...i have a few myself, heard them called "fish points"...i suppose but with the salmon runs it seems unnecessary.
 
That's a sweet little point. It doesn't hurt to double check your finds.
 
This is a rock source spot the Natives used to gather their rock for knapping. Buddy found a folsom on this site and many other partial points. Also a few petroglyphs on the larger rocks not seen in this photo. So 30# is not even a drop in the bucket.DSCN0413.webp
 
All the rock you see is either debatage or spalls from knapping.
 
Really nice find!!!!!!!
 
i know a spot like that in NV...i leave the stuff on the ground and visit it from time to time, love to see the reds and blacks and yellows and browns sprinkled like breadcrumbs all over every step I take. sometimes I will pick up a more unusual one that catches my eye...great walk in the desert.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom