What's new

Its official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

This article was in a paper in NJ. And it makes the offer by Cherry even nicer. :-)

<<A penny doesn't buy much anymore, and the debate continues over whether the mint should continue making them. But the new Lincoln bicentennial penny has become one of the hottest items in the collecting world.

These pennies are supposed to be circulating coins, but try to find one. Readers are telling me they can't get them at banks, and forget about getting one in your change.

They sold out quickly on the mint's website, at the premium price of $8.95 (plus $4.95 shipping and handling) for a dollar's worth of circulating quality coins, and the secondary market - both through dealers and websites such as eBay - has been brisk. Individual coins have been selling for several dollars. The mint's sales were limited for five sets per household.

Historians are recalling a similar frenzy when the first Lincoln pennies were issued in 1909, to mark the centennial of his birth.

(By the way, the Lincoln commemorative silver dollar also sold out.)

Given what happened with the first of the four new pennies - depicting Lincoln's early years in Kentucky with a log cabin on the reverse -- it may not be too early to develop a strategy for the release of the second penny, scheduled for May 14.

The second penny -- commemorating Lincoln's formative years in Indiana -- was designed and sculpted by Charles Vickers. On the reverse, it shows the railsplitter sitting on a log and reading a book, recalling that the 16th president was self-educated.

The third and fourth pennies - depicting his professional life in Illinois and his presidency -- will follow at approximately three-month intervals
>>
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

I must be lucky - I've scored 3 to 4 boxes a week for the last 5 weeks including 3 more today.
Everything goes direct to ebay.
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

anyone know where the next pennies will be released at.I know only certain fed didtricts get each issue...not sure what ones we will get here...hh
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

I live in tn and have gotten 3
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

i work in Philly where they are minted and there is not one coin to be found here :icon_scratch:
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

So far I have scored 7 boxes in the last two weeks.

Ands now I just had a bank call this morning that has 2 boxes for me wiating to get picked up with my 25 box penny order.

So I have scored a total of 9 boxes.

But I have also ordered and picked up over 200 penny boxes in 2 1/2 weeks!


Happy Hunting!
Jason
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

And your Ryedale comes in on Monday.

man, you are a monster with the pennies ALREADY. I can't wait to hear how you do once you get a Ryedale!
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

I have not been hunting in over a year. Life sometimes gets in the way. At the bank the other day, I decided to pick up a box of pennies just for something to do. They informed me in a smart a** way that these were not the new pennies. I didn't even know that there was a new penny. (I told you I had been out of the loop) Then I pop in hear and read about the new penny. After checking ebay, I sure wish I had found out about them early on so that I could have got in on the action. Oh well, to those of you that have found them, congratulations. I will go back to pulling wheats. I became way too obsessed with the whole copper hoarding. I am going to keep things simple this time around.
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

Just depends on where your at. Nothing in my area still!!!!

Golden Silver
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

I received 3 in change at wally world the other day I imeadiatly put them in holders
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

nothing here either
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

eldorado said:
I received 3 in change at wally world the other day I immediately put them in holders

You should find out who supplies their change (it's sometimes the bank IN the walmart if they have one) and see about buying boxes/rolls. even if you can snag a handfull of rolls at face its a good deal.
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

got my first rolls today, they would only sell me 10 rolls all Philly cents. got them at a whacova bank in columbus ga
 
Re: It's official. The 2009 penny is HARD to find!

my coin dealer said he couldn't get any even with all his connections :icon_scratch:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom