What's new

Its Still Got Me Puzzled

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Still Got Me Puzzled

:dontknow:

I found this Gold piece on a detecting dig in Lincolnshire in 2004, it's solid Gold and has been shaped into a square wire then wrapped into a spiral. My thoughts is that it Saxon in origin, and possibly was used to wrap hair (hair decoration)
When I have posted this before, some folks thought that it might be Viking Hack Gold :dontknow: so I thought I would post it again for new people who haven't seen it, and might shed some thoughts on it :icon_thumleft:

SS
 

Attachments

  • H & E 038.webp
    H & E 038.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 451
  • H & E 037.webp
    H & E 037.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 453
  • H & E 040.webp
    H & E 040.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 430
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

VERY nice recovery. . . :thumbsup:

Since this piece appears to be simply fashioned, my initial thought is it may have been fashioned to
"wrap" around a string of leather for safe-keeping and used for barter purposes. . . similar to the way
a "holed" coin might have been kept.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

Hey SS, very nice find! I don't know how it was used, but it's a beautiful piece of gold! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

Could be a piece used by a goldsmith for making or adding to jewelery?(from any period). Could be anything really mate.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

I seem to recall that gold chains were often utilized as currency. Links being broken off as needed for barter or purchase. Looks like it tapers on one end leading me to wonder if it was stretched to the breaking point.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

watercolor said:
VERY nice recovery. . . :thumbsup:

Since this piece appears to be simply fashioned, my initial thought is it may have been fashioned to
"wrap" around a string of leather for safe-keeping and used for barter purposes. . . similar to the way
a "holed" coin might have been kept.
Yep that could be another...thanks for the reply :thumbsup:
PChammer said:
Some look similar :icon_thumleft: good links :thumbsup:
Dano Sverige said:
Could be a piece used by a goldsmith for making or adding to jewelery?(from any period). Could be anything really mate.
Proberbly never get the correct ID Dano :-\
Breezie said:
Hey SS, very nice find! I don't know how it was used, but it's a beautiful piece of gold! Breezie
Cheers Breezie :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

DirtDigler said:
I seem to recall that gold chains were often utilized as currency. Links being broken off as needed for barter or purchase. Looks like it tapers on one end leading me to wonder if it was stretched to the breaking point.
Yes they were, I don't think this was part of a chain though, the curl is to uniformed, and was purposely made :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

Well this is just my first impression, and I don't know anything about Saxon gold, but it looks like the large end was attached at some point and the small end doesn't, when I looked at all the photos the only thing I could see was a ram's horn, it could be a piece broken off of a gold sculpture of a ram. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

But anyway it does sure look very nice and I would like to own it!!!

Just out of curiosity what is the weight of the "horn"?


Skip
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's Still Got Me Puzzled

AU Seeker said:
Well this is just my first impression, and I don't know anything about Saxon gold, but it looks like the large end was attached at some point and the small end doesn't, when I looked at all the photos the only thing I could see was a ram's horn, it could be a piece broken off of a gold sculpture of a ram. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

But anyway it does sure look very nice and I would like to own it!!!

Just out of curiosity what is the weight of the "horn"?


Skip
:hello:

It weighs 3.9 grams :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom