What's new

Jewelers mark on sterling ring?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

Hello!

I dug this ugly ring yesterday in Eugene Oregon. I assume it has alittle age to it because of the depth that I dug it at~ in the same area I dug 12 wheat cents and a War nickel.

The band is marked STERLING ~ the jeweler or makers mark looks like a 'J' and a 'F' stuck together and reversed! Anyone know what this means? There's also a large 'S.' in the band away from the other markings.

The metal mounting that holding the big pink stone must be some other junk metal, not sterling. The stone is huge ~ 14 mm in diameter!

THANKS!
Neil
 

Attachments

  • March18-2010ring2.webp
    March18-2010ring2.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 274
  • March18-2010ring3.webp
    March18-2010ring3.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 254
  • March18-2010ring1.webp
    March18-2010ring1.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 253
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

Hi from Vancouver!!!!! Yep that is one ugly ring!!! Looks like some one took a sterling band and did a add on to it sorry i cant help on identifing the marks!!! Good luck on your hunts!! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

Drop that thing in some ammonia and let it soak.

Looks like a T J f mark. So far I do not find it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

relichunters said:
Is it a ruby? or plastic stone?

The stone seems to be some pink colored glass. ??
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

oddcoins said:
relichunters said:
Is it a ruby? or plastic stone?

The stone seems to be some pink colored glass. ??

Hmm quite odd, normally jewelery with sterling silver is real gems.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

relichunters said:
oddcoins said:
relichunters said:
Is it a ruby? or plastic stone?

The stone seems to be some pink colored glass. ??

Hmm quite odd, normally jewelery with sterling silver is real gems.

Nope. A lot of silver is considered costume jewelry and does use glass as the stone.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

It's difficult to judge from the pics, but the stone looks somewhat 'better' than glass.
If anything else, I would guess, an Amethyst.
Mike

Edit: E-mail the folks at this site, they might be able to help.
http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksf.html

Edit:Edit: I retract the previous Edit. I just remembered reading they will not reply to e-mail.
I will leave the link here because it looks like a good resource for searching jewelry brands.
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Jeweler's mark on sterling ring?

.....or Rose quartz.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom