🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Jewelry piece. Gold or Nickel?

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I have an interesting question. I don’t know if anybody can help me out with it or not, but I will ask anyway.

Here’s what happened. I was out metal detecting in my yard when my metal detector went off while I was walking. It went off on a very low tone, which according to the manual means that it is either detecting nickel or gold.

I have this detector, by the way.

When a dug in the spot, I found this.

2996748C-C54E-4ADD-929F-4D78736058F9.jpeg

7A212FF1-0D30-41F0-A5BB-E0E70F138864.jpeg

It is obviously a piece of jewelry or something. However, I cannot tell what it is made of. According to the metal detector, it’s nickel or gold.

What do you guys think? Jewelry piece or not? Nickel or gold?

Can someone help me out with this?

Jared

Last edited by a moderator:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about that particular piece, but be aware that just because the detector tones say it might be nickel or silver doesn't mean that's the only things it could be. It's guessing based on conductivity and signal strength and such, and various combinations of metal can produce similar tones.

No matter what it's made of, it's a neat find!

Upvote 4
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about that particular piece, but be aware that just because the detector tones say it might be nickel or silver doesn't mean that's the only things it could be. It's guessing based on conductivity and signal strength and such, and various combinations of metal can produce similar tones.

No matter what it's made of, it's a neat find!

That actually makes sense. Sometimes, I get mixed tones, which means something like a pull tab according to the manual. When I dig it up, it turns out to be a coin. I had that happen with a wheat penny recently.

You’re right. Thank you for pointing that out. I’m fairly new to metal detecting, so thanks for teaching me.

It’s still a neat find.

Upvote 1

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That actually makes sense. Sometimes, I get mixed tones, which means something like a pull tab according to the manual. When I dig it up, it turns out to be a coin. I had that happen with a wheat penny recently.

You’re right. Thank you for pointing that out. I’m fairly new to metal detecting, so thanks for teaching me.
Best advice i think i could give to a new detectorist ( i still consider my self a newbie 3 years in) is dig every signal for while. Even for a seasoned detectorist when they get a new machine. Because every machine is different and it takes awhile to get to know it. Try to guess what a target is from the sound and target ID numbers, before you dig it. Then take note of what it actually was. If you do that long enough one day you will be like thats a button (or whatever) and it will be. Then you are on your way. At some point you will be able to tell with pretty decent accuracy what a target is and whether its worth digging. Some people say dig all non iron signals anyway, but im in the boat that if you know your machine well enough. You will be able to tell if its a "good target" or not.
Goodluck and happy hunting.

Upvote 2

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly pot metal. It becomes unstable over time and can crack and pit with age. It appears part of the maker mark has chipped away. Also on the bottom section there may be a crack and pit. Some costume jewelry is made of pot metal.

Upvote 3

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It could be a piece of Sarah Coventry jewelry.
Pot metal with gold flashing

"Sarah Coventry jewelry was most popular during the 1950s and 1960s and continued to be offered at home parties for a few years after the company's 1981 bankruptcy. The jewelry brand passed through a few more owners, including a Canadian company, but never regained its former popularity and has disappeared from today's market."

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking at various Sarah Coventry jewelry and hallmarks and unable to find an exact match - yet. Some earlier hallmarks can be seen here...
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/sarah-coventry-hallmarks--340936634293980303/. The hallmark in the top picture may be later(?)

That said, the piece found is similar in shape to some of the SC swirl styles.

How large is the piece and does it look to be broken off at the arc where the 3 legs come together? Also is that black paint in the center of the 3 legs in picture 2?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking at various Sarah Coventry jewelry and hallmarks and unable to find an exact match - yet. Some earlier hallmarks can be seen here...
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/sarah-coventry-hallmarks--340936634293980303/. The hallmark in the top picture may be later(?)

That said, the piece found is similar in shape to some of the SC swirl styles.

How large is the piece and does it look to be broken off at the arc where the 3 legs come together? Also is that black paint in the center of the 3 legs in picture 2?

To answer the first question, here is how large the piece is:

E211B2E3-7D06-4D0E-A8A2-7F50A2A0C1BF.jpeg

8BFB5594-6BD6-4FB5-A28D-38A1BDC36412.jpeg

To answer the second question, I don’t know if that’s the paint or not on the back. All I can tell you is that it is extremely smooth. My fingernail glides over it very easily.

Upvote 1

fab117

May 15, 2024
i'm not an expert, but to me it looks like a decoration of a purse for lady, i don't know how old it is, and i don't think it's gold either. Wish for you that i am wrong :)
this kind of hammered stuff with no system of fixation, could really be something on a purse before. That's my idea but once more i could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread