sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a little time before I have to work today. At the usual park and about 10 minutes into my hunt, I pull a clad dime from about 3" down in soft wet soil. I put it away and fill my small hole and rescan the area...another high tone (83). So I'm thinking dime-spill! Well, probably not a spill, but it was another dime. 1921-D Mercury dime! I screwed up and rubbed the obverse not thinking it would be key date lol. Errrrr!! It's in pretty darn good shape. I'm stoked. Hope to find another silver in the time I got left. HH all.

Sgt ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667675.481413.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667686.503330.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667726.692490.jpg

Upvote 30
OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I know for a fact is that once a company like PCGS grades and slabs a coin and includes an "Environmental Damage" tag, it will only be worth 10% at auction. I don't agree with this practice but at most auctions held by Heritage Auctions, that is the result. (Stacks won't even handle a graded Environmental Damage coin). Don't forget, when a grading company examines a coin for grading, it is examined under magnification. All pock marks that are caused from moving around in the soil over the years due to frozen and thawing out of ground activity is evident. ALL SILVER COINS THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE GROUND FOR YEARS HAVE THIS TYPE OF ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE TO SOME DEGREE. If you don't believe me, that's fine. It's a simple thing to call any coin dealer for information about Environmental Damage caused to DUG silver coins. They kind of hate that word, DUG. lol
I saw a rare silver Half Dollar that was graded and tagged "Environmental Damage" AU58. It was graded by PCGS. Their grade is Gospel. That coin was listed in the Red Book at AU58 as a coin worth $45,000.00 When it went to auction that was held by Heritage Auction, it realized a selling price of $4,500.00 That is 10 % of the Red Book estimated value and was because of the "Environmental Damage' tag.

I'm not arguing with ya! I'm no expert on grading and auctions. But I have heard that dug coins can get labeled as "Env damaged" depending on their condition. Luckily, I live in central California where the ground doesn't freeze much, the soil conditions are great and most silvers come out in decent shape....most! Lol, not all. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't too weathered by the earth. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486754555.046914.jpg

Just went to the local coin shop (Fresno coin gallery) to look around and see if I could get some eyes on my coin. One of the owners checked it out with his loupe and said it looks better than probably 95% of the Mercs people bring in. He did notice the minor rub marks...darn. But said they weren't too bad. The whole rim is there and it has many good features. In the pic shown here, I compared it with a 1921-D they happened to have in house. Now, theirs isn't graded by PCGS or anything, but someone but a "VG-8" label on it. Whether that's true or not, mine looked much better (on both sides) so I am quite happy. They offered me $50 for it and I gladly declined ;) it'll be a nice addition to my collection!!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486755015.668116.jpg

And I put my sexy girl in a better home! She deserves the best ;)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a NICE merc!

It helps to carry a plastic pill container with a small piece of damp sponge at the bottom with you at all times to put the coins in. . . caked-on dirt and all.
If you must rub a silver coin in the field, only rub it's edge; If the reeding appears sharp, all the more reason to put it in the container without any more handling. . . It'll make your drive home a lot sweeter.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Key Merc ! You didn't do too badly at all , and you learned a lesson ! I actually scratched a Peace Dollar (not a key) and a Walking Liberty half - also common . We live and learn . I think your coin is easily $100. but I would keep it and I really like your specialty holder (show her some love ! )

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cabin fever is getting to me. My comment wasn't just directed at the OP just a suggestion for anybody reading this that likes to " rub that rosie"

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry cabin fever is getting to me. My comment wasn't just directed at the OP just a suggestion for anybody reading this that likes to " rub that rosie"

I know bud, and I'm sorry again. I was out in the field still and just took it the wrong way. But I did screw up writing my description also...so I deserved a "talking to" hehe! Thanks again buddy ;)

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!

I know exactly where you dug up your dime. I'm sure I passed over that target. Problem is I don't dig shallow targets unless I'm chasing the gold. I've dug up hundreds of mercs and barbers on the Belmont side (Now part of the zoo) since 2002. Haven't been there hunting in a couple of years. When they expanded the zoo it was a sad day all the memories of that side of the park as a child and as a place to hunt gone.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty shes a good find nice display case coin!!!!!!

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the key-date Merc! From what I can see detail-wise, looks like a VG to me, but I'm not a professional grader by any means. Regardless, I hope it comes back with a higher grade for you- Great find!!

-- Jeff --

Selsaro

Dec 29, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
9 Function Harbor frieght Metal Detector, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the key date!! That's a bucket Lister for sure.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find, any key or semi key date is so exciting. I swear before I started metal detecting I had no clue as to coins and there value. After three years of doing this I finally took some of my better silver coin finds to a dealer. I asked him about the environmental damage or improperly cleaned label on a slabbed coin. I asked him how a guy like me could get retail value for whatever grade they put on it. The grade takes in account the damage. He said I could get retail value on eBay. ATW is talking auctions, specifically Heritage auctions. I just don't know, I'm not arguing with anyone or saying who is right or wrong. I know one thing in my experience of selling coins that a coin is worth what you can get for it. Time will tell for me because I do believe I'm going to get a few of my coins graded and might possibly try and sell one or two of them. I did however go a couple years back to a coin show and get values for a couple of my dug copper Large Cents, I was told both of them were G grade value. I sold both of them for 90% of that G grade value. That is my experience with selling dug coins so far. It is my belief (Again I really don't know yet) that selling to a dealer or selling at auction that I would be lucky to get full wholesale value of any coin?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my silvers get polished to a high shine and hung on my wall.

The cost to grade is a rip off and the price you would get when you sell is a joke as well.

You guys arguing about circulated coins that are then buried in the ground for decades amuse me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find! I don't want to sound preachy but i don't understand why anyone would rub any silver coin. even a rosie. What we do is, in essence, preserving history . it doesn't matter now but in a few hundred years, if people can still afford to collect coins, they may be happy you didn't rub it when you found it. HH

Hopefully in the next 100 years Toning will cover up the Hairline Scratches.

I do agree with you tho , I don't rub any silver that I find ...OCD After Scratching up a 1903 O Barber 17 years ago ,that still worries me. but Hey way better than a 'Diggers Kiss'

Also most Merc's & Especially Rosie silver Dimes are Common & only worth a Tad above Melt.

That said I really don't want to rub my Mercs JIC they are AU or Mint State .
Awesome Find >.OP

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my silvers get polished to a high shine and hung on my wall.

The cost to grade is a rip off and the price you would get when you sell is a joke as well.

You guys arguing about circulated coins that are then buried in the ground for decades amuse me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, yeah bud it's funny! And it's funny because almost everything I dig, I take my dremel and shine em up real nice! Mostly wheats I do this to, but also have done it to a few silvers...why? Because they are mine and I'm not gonna sell em!! I feel how you do. However, this coin in particular was a "non rubbing" type! I've never got anything graded or even really sold. But this would be one of those that I might some day. Like I said before, the local dealer offered me $50 and I laughed at him. I know he'd turn around and throw a $150 tag on it or better. If I sell, it'll be to a collector. No dealer.

Thanks for the good post! I like how ya think

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!

I know exactly where you dug up your dime. I'm sure I passed over that target. Problem is I don't dig shallow targets unless I'm chasing the gold. I've dug up hundreds of mercs and barbers on the Belmont side (Now part of the zoo) since 2002. Haven't been there hunting in a couple of years. When they expanded the zoo it was a sad day all the memories of that side of the park as a child and as a place to hunt gone.

Thanks for saving the target for me! I'm quite pleased. It was a solid dime signal. I dig all those tones. I do pretty good with that method...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread