Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was hunting an area that gets some snow play today.Hit a coin spill just above a big ol pine.I figured someone either hit that tree or crashed to avoid it.then I found these two platinum teeth and the verdict was in....bam...he hit the tree !!almost 11 grams and easily passes platinum acid test on the stone.feel bad for the guy...but dang...platinum.:occasion14:

005.JPG

Upvote 19

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good! Now, if only you can find the owner so he can quit eating liquid pork chops!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have read this post and did some research. I think you might want to have it checked out by an expert. NOT saying it isn't but I read that platinum was rarely used in fillings because of it hardness and not able to layer it. I also read that dental materials will cause a false platinum reading with acid.

Copied from wikipidia. (Like they are always right, NOT)

Other historical fillings

Lead fillings were used in the 18th century, but became unpopular in the 19th century because of their softness. This was before lead poisoning was understood.

According to American Civil War-era dental handbooks from the mid-19th century, since the early 19th century metallic fillings had been used, made of lead, gold, tin, platinum, silver, aluminum, or amalgam. A pellet was rolled slightly larger than the cavity, condensed into place with instruments, then shaped and polished in the patient's mouth. The filling was usually left "high", with final condensation โ€” "tamping down" โ€” occurring while the patient chewed food. Gold foil was the most popular and preferred filling material during the Civil War. Tin and amalgam were also popular due to lower cost, but were held in lower regard.

"One survey of dental practices in the mid-19th century catalogued dental fillings found in the remains of seven Confederate soldiers from the U.S. Civil War; they were made of:

Gold foil: Preferred because of its durability and safety.
Platinum: Was rarely used because it was too hard, inflexible and difficult to form into foil."

Testing Platinum | Acid Testing for Platinum Metal | Esslinger Watchmaker Supplies Blog

However, I am no expert by any means but it is possible you are being fooled by the test kit. Especially since another website says it was very rare to use. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfoot1

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup scuba I was tricked once awhile back on a platinum test.not this time.as we know platinum is super dense,heavy.I am still amazed by the weight/size ratio of platinum.about 10% heavier than gold.this metal is right there weight wise.also I have two platinum rings(jeweler verified)and it is virtually equally difficult to even get a streak on the stone.it requires alot more pressure with platinum than white gold or silver.I can eliminate palladium as the 18 and 22k solutions do not produce yellowish green.

I feel quite confident it is platinum but,as I have done before with platinum,I will get my jeweler to test as well.he's back on friday,already talked to him.
peace out

Last edited:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, if that is creepy.......I want to find the world's worst nightmare! What an awesome find! It appears to be a bridge of sorts? Looks kinda like the two pieces could have been connected?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find platinum...
anything!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creepy,schmeepie.....at well over $300.00 spot these babies give me a big ol toothy grin ! Will go towards my detecting trip in 2 weeks.

Congrats on a find that can put a bite into your bills.
11g @ .800 purity X $1087.00,, Melt price = $307.54
If a higher purity is required for Dental Applications, it could be more.
Sweet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread