What's new

Last for now...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY ONLY MACHINES
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
4,609
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penny for size comparison !!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0651.webp
    IMG_0651.webp
    387.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0652.webp
    IMG_0652.webp
    350.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0653.webp
    IMG_0653.webp
    378.2 KB · Views: 66
The reverse: SMANI is a mintmark on a Constantinopolis Follis coin.
The coin features a victory standing on the left, leaning on a shield and holding a scepter.
ID of the obverse to follow (hopefully).
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
Some clarification of the mintmark may be helpful.
This mintmark (SMANI) is in three parts:
SM for Sacra Moneta (Moneta being the goddess of money)
AN for Antioch
I for the 10th 'officina' where the coin was minted.
Of the 16 'officinae' that I'm aware of, each had its own suffix to the AN mintmark.
Don in SoCal
 
Some clarification of the mintmark may be helpful.
This mintmark (SMANI) is in three parts:
SM for Sacra Moneta (Moneta being the goddess of money)
AN for Antioch
I for the 10th 'officina' where the coin was minted.
Of the 16 'officinae' that I'm aware of, each had its own suffix to the AN mintmark.
Don in SoCal
That's incredible !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom