What's new

Latest Finds

Diggin Dave

Full Member
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
184
Reaction score
82
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found in Ocean City, MD Any ideas on their origins? The cross looks Spanish to me, the haircomb is definitely antique. Both found in same area.


image-1985153144.webpimage-903141085.webp
 
Upvote 0
metal_detector_searching.gif
Don't know about the origin but you have some nice finds Diggin Dave.
 
That cross is fantastic and the comb has some type of stones in it that look great. WTG & HH.
 
The comb is what Spanish Ladies wore and some still wear. Nice finds, the cross may be very old if it was crusted.
 
The cross is very cool find. Any markings?
 
Thanks all! The cross has no markings on it. The haircomb has what appears to be 3 large amethyst stones, and in the middle and around the edges are 8 yellow topaz stones. The teeth on the comb appear to be brass.
 
Great finds, Dave!

I love that cross...it may be of Russian or Greek origin...I'm going to check out some sites and see if I can find a similar one ; if I do, I'll post it on this thread and have you check it out to see what you may think.

Is that a rose in the upper center?

Lorraine
 
Last edited:
Thanks Lorraine! It looks like a rose or flower.
 
Dave, I think this cross is a Byzantine cross.

I found a "reasonable facsimile ", and a link to an explanation re: Byzantine crosses which I found interesting and informative.

Here's the link:
Byzantine crosses


and here's the pic: the edges are not the same as in the one that you found, but the florid pattern gives cause to believe that both crosses are of the same origin.
cross.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom