redbronco said:I would just check with the county or city clerk to see if there were any local ordinances on metal detecting. If not, just get permission on private property, use common sense on where not to dig - aka the front lawn of the court house and always use the metal detector's code of ethics - fill up your holes.
It was all good natured joking and I told him I could understand his position because of the manicured lawns there. My original request about county owned property came a few minutes after I checked tax maps and found out that the location of a stagecoach stop is on county property. Oooooh Yeeeeah. Now it's just the question of chancing chiggers and snakes during the warmer months or frigging wet cold in the cooler months. In addition, the area where the house sat is growing with sapling trees thicker than hair on a cat's back. That site is on my "one-of-these-days" list. 