Lesners Garden Research

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Lesner's Garden Research

So I am beginning to like the maps on sanborn.umi.com more and more everyday! I will be headed back to Norfolk, VA next year to my next command and found out about a place called "Lesner's Garden" in the Huntersville neighborhood of Norfolk, VA. It has been many things through out history but it's the older history i'm interested in. Why am I posting this lead to TNet? Because I am a generous guy and if somebody gives this lead a go, i'd be curious of the results. If not, hey I'll detect it myself whenever I am back over there. Anyway, here is the area in 1887:

1887-lesners-garden.jpg

You will notice several things including a dance hall and Lesner's Maple Wood Garden. There is a building described as "cupola and windmill" on the eastern side of the property. Also of importance is the northern border street called "Lee St." is now "Lexington St". I found this location mentioned in a book called: "Norfolk, The Marine Metropolis of Virginia: And The Sound and River Cities of North Carolina" by GEO. T. NOWITZKV 1888. Here is the excerpt:

“The greatest feature of this remarkable avenue, as well as of Huntersville, and which is destined to be-come one of Norfolk's great attractions, is lesner's garden, which promises to be one of the most extensive east of Cincinnati, and more remarkable, probably, than any in even the Western cities, from the fact that it combines the leading features of nearly all of them. It is, on a small scale, a zoological garden and also a flower garden. Art is represented by a number of iron and terracotta casts, some of them quite heroic, and a number of large halls give ample room for assemblies. The peculiar and permanent nature of the street-front of this, attractive pleasure park first attracted my attention and its really quaint appearance further centered my gaze. It is in the form of a building of such large proportions that it overshadows everything in Huntersville. The first story is a pleasing combination of granite, marble, sandstone and pressed brick. The next is of wood, pierced with large windows, which have every appearance of being put there to admit light into a public hall; and above that a niche, tilled by a statue, gives it quite an ecclesiastical appearance. But the most remarkable of all is the tower or outlook. There was certainly considerable originality used in its design, for I must certainly admit that in all ray wanderings I have never seen any approach to it, elevation being gained by a number of cottage-like structures, one fitting the roof of the other, the height being one hundred and ten feet. I walked in and found myself in a large hall, the centre being occupied by a permanent fountain, which, with its many sprays and jets of water splashing and trickling into its ample basin, will do a great deal, in connection with the three arches at the extreme end (which have every appearance of breezy tunnels), towards giving it the much-desired cool and refreshing aspect daring hot and dusty July and August. Through these three arches I got the first views of the beauties of the garden proper, and without delay I walked into it. Upon reaching it I found first a unique terra-cotta vase, next a well-kept lawn. In the centre, upon a rustic base, stands a giant elk, with all the dignity and pose of a presiding official. This fine specimen of the deer suggested to me the name of Elk Lawn, and the magnolias which bordered it Magnolia Circle; a path which forms the interior boundary, and is ornamented by a line of evergreen-. Evergreen Walk; and the companion walk on the other side, Zoo Ramble, as it passes the cages filled with wild animals. These names were adopted by the proprietor, who accompanied me in my walk over three broad acres. A.a 1 looked at what has already been done, and observed the walks, Well-arranged trees, well-kept lawn, pretty flower-plats, fountains, ponds and shady bowers, and then walked upstairs into the main or entrance building and found a well-arranged spacious hall, particularly adapted for musical entertainments, I could not help but think that Eastern Virginia and North Carolina, as well as Norfolk, had been "supplied with a want"; and when I considered its possibilities, I was satisfied that nothing stands in its way of becoming, not only a leading resort, but one of national reputation, i have seen many smaller ones North and West whose names are household words. As I was leaving, the proprietor asked me to give one item to the public. I do it cheerfully, and that is, that it is intended as a resort for ladies and children as well as gentlemen, and that no intoxicating liquids will, under any circumstances, be sold or allowed on the premises.”

The author describes the cupola as well as detailing how this place was frequently visited by crowds of people. Now on to the more interesting part. I found the following picture on google maps satellite view. I don't know how old it is, but I sure hope the lot still looks like it does here:

current-lesners-garden.jpg

Later on in 1895, this lot became Norfolk's only brewery. It was around through prohibition manufacturing fruit drinks.

southern-beer.jpg

If anybody knows any more details or get's a chance to check it out, feel free to let me know! ~Cillosis

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Re: Lesner's Garden Research

Look at all the privies. That's where the good stuff will be and possibly a cache.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

cillosis,
The area is still a field. I think the area is a little rough, so you may want to bring your gear with you! That is definitely one of the times you want to break out the blaze orange vest so people will leave you alone. I would say you have some potential at that site for sure. Hit it during the morning when the kids are in school to be safe.

OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5

Philvis said:
cillosis,
The area is still a field. I think the area is a little rough, so you may want to bring your gear with you! That is definitely one of the times you want to break out the blaze orange vest so people will leave you alone. I would say you have some potential at that site for sure. Hit it during the morning when the kids are in school to be safe.

That's funny you mention a blaze orange vest because I was thinking the exact same thing a little while ago. Try to make it appear as though I work for the city so nobody bothers me. The problem I have with the area is it is a little run down and a lot of the people around there fancy themselves "thugs" and I worry about getting robbed. Probably bring a friend or two so that nobody gets any wise ideas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread