I am assuming that your thoughts are that the bodies are still where they landed and all the artifacts that they had with them are also where they landed.
Very interesting. Let us know if you manage to find their final resting place. Do you intend to make arrangements to have any remains properly buried? That is assuming any are still there.
Would be very exciting if you could locate the names of the prisoners and contact their families or at least notify someone (United Daughters of the Confederacy General Organization) that you have located some missing soldiers from the war.
I am not suggesting that you give up your treasure finds, just to do the right thing concerning the soldiers remains, if any are found.
Ray S
Actually my thoughts were running in a similar direction. I find it sad that no one had the motivation to retrieve these guys after such a travesty. This particular incident had nothing to do w/ war, it was murder. The war had already concluded and it was a show of good faith on their part to turn themselves over to someone they considered an enemy. Can you imagine how many similar occurrences happened throughout the turn of the States with no record? Unfortunately I probably will not be able to find anything useful for Identification but there may be records of missing individuals at the end of the war that were part of the local occupation of confederates.