What's new

Limestone riverbank fossil

gleaner1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
4,507
Reaction score
1,039
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this fossil on the bank of a limestone river in northern NY. I have seen smaller ones like it but this one is 3" diameter and I guess 4 or 5 foot long, maybe longer. It is segmented and has a quartz core. What the heck is it? Thanks, gleaner1.
 

Attachments

  • latestdigs 112.webp
    latestdigs 112.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 491
It could be a Crinoid..Do you have a top on pic of it..?Looks cool tho
 
I have more pic's, the thing is straight as a pin and goes deep into a crevasse, I can see about 4 feet of it and it must go on for many more feet.
 

Attachments

  • pod1.webp
    pod1.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 327
  • pod2.webp
    pod2.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 387
  • pod3.webp
    pod3.webp
    101.7 KB · Views: 335
  • pod4.webp
    pod4.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 336
  • pod5.webp
    pod5.webp
    131 KB · Views: 316
  • pod6.webp
    pod6.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 365
Wow, that is really cool...Wish I was near an area like that...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom