What's new

Living in Cancun, Scoop recommendation !

jesse09

Banned
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,
I live in Cancun, I have free reign to explore the surrounding regions, the Riveria Maya, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, ETC. For those of you who have visited you know the sand is fine sand, It's impossible to buy a scoop down here so I want to make a one time purchase. Something reliable, durable, and perfect for fine sand.
I have landed on the Stealth 8 Sugarsand classic, my concern is the handle is not at an angle so it would be heavier lifting all the time. I am 21 yrs old so how heavy are these scoops full of sand, I was a powerlifter in high school, point being I'm not weak but 5 hours of lifting a straight handle scoop vs. a angled scoop I would imagine makes a big a difference?
Is this a good scoop? Anyone else own one? Has it ever broke on you? Is it good for fine sand or takes to long to sift out with the smaller holes?

Thank you in advance for those who took the time to reply.
God bless
Jesse
 
Upvote 0
Hi Jesse. I will be in Cancun in May. Staying at le Blanc Hotel. I live in California and use the Stealth 8 inch. The only problem is that the holes are so small it thaks a month of sundays to check out whats in the scoop. I also use a 6 inch one piece stainless scoop with 5/8 holes. The stealth digs up more material than the 6 inch scoop. They both have pros and cons. May be we can hook up in Cancun. Thanks Joe.
 
2 Words

Stealth Scoops
Stealth-10.webp
 
So the Sugarsand 8 inch the one usaftrevor87 posted a picture of takes forever to have sand sift through it? Is that what your saying? To a point where its no bueno?
 
3 LETTERS - RTG = NEVER BREAK -
I have seen 5 guys break their wooden handles
 

If you are strictly using it in sand, it is wood and will fatigue after a while, but it will take a while.
They break when you start to pry with it, or use it in really rocky, or clay type grounds. Thats not what it was designed for. It was made for the beach hunter.
They also offer it I believe with a fiberglass handle.
If you're in the water then weight won't be an issue, if you're on dry land it is kind of heavy, if you use it wrong. When you scoop you don't scoop then pick it up really high and let it drain. You scoop then bring it to the side of the hole or whatever technique you want to use. You can tip it up so it drains out the sides, but still resting on the beach or you can pick it a little off the ground. Or wash it if you're close to the tide.
The sides are larger holes and the bottom (if you're looking at the photo) are smaller holes to catch the smaller earrings and items. So it really doesn't take that long to sift. This is just one man's opinion. And you know what they say about opinions haha
 
If you have not already done so, You should consider the DeGhetto T-Rex for your area.
It has an open basket, more shield like tip and approx 1/4" square mesh SS basket to catch small stuff like earing posts, with 20 degree angle handle.
From what you stated the sand should easily sift through.

Sunspot scoops have a euro Vish tip which works great when you need to work close to large rocks.
I use the sunspot stealth 720I near jetties and where there are shells as it drains fast with the 1/2 inch holes.

I use both the DeDhetto T-Rex and the Sunspot stealth 720 I and like both.

The Sunspot Stealth 8 Sugarsand classic should work better where you hunt.
I have never used a 90 degree handle, so I cannot comment on that, but I do not think that it will be a problem.
It is super strong as the handle goes all the way to the bottom of the basket.
 
Last edited:
3 LETTERS - RTG = NEVER BREAK -
I have seen 5 guys break their wooden handles

+1 for RTG, built like tank, and they pretty much offer every possible design/material you could want.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom