Local hunts for the deep iffy stuff.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
No big hunt this past weekend. Too humid, hunting partners tied up, chores, etc. But, I still felt the need to detect. Dan had given me a series of articles by Tom Dankowski(NASA Tom) on metal detecting. Some great reading that got me fired up on Friday. So I headed to the second closest park where Nate and I have dug a lot of deep(6-8) inch wheat pennies. After a digging a few targets I got a deep iffy tone. Dug down and got a 1937 Merc. It was about 6-7 inches deep. I was very happy because we have hit this area so much and have only pulled two silver coins from it. So I filled the hole but swung my coil over it “just to make sure” there was nothing else. Got a null(I was hunting in IM -15). I thought I better check it out. Dig down a little more and a wheat pops out. The stuff from the 1 hour hunt:
Merc1.jpg

I came home and waited for Nate to get home from school so I could show him of my metal detecting prowness. ;) ;D Now he has been whining to me about not metal detecting in like “months” and when are we going to go to the ‘berg….so I thought he might be mad when I showed him my sweet little score. He was like “cool”. No biggie.
The baseball pendant says either 3-73 or is it .373 for batting average?
Mercback.jpg

Sunday I had another hour. Since we had gotten a lot of rain I decided to hit another place that has produced a barber quarter, a WLH dollar, silver dimes, silver quarters, and plenty of wheats. The thing with this site is that they built two new schools on the old property. The one area you can get coins but you have to dig through 4-5 inches of gravel/clay fill before you get down to the original soil. The ground has to be very moist to be able to pick up the coins that are down at the 6+ inch level. Some of the signals were good sounding and some were very, very bad sounding. Found 10 wheat pennies but no silver. Still fun and great practice digging those really iffy deep signals.

Wheats1.jpg

Finally, stuff I found from the other local hunted out park on the east side. The Buffalo Nickel I posted before but not in it’s cleaned up state. It was found in Sandusky, Ohio.
WilverBuffalo.jpg

HH all!

Bob

Upvote 0

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
That right there is exactly what goes through my mind when I think about some of the places that I've hunted..........just go back there and dig anything that has the smallest eveidence/trace of being a coin. You've done it and have been rewarded. Congrats.......and excellent work on the photos.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Nice finds for an "hour here and there" hunt!

Nice presentation too!

These deep finds give us all a little hope.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread