Locked and Loaded, May the Saints Protect Us!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Ugh!... Some mornings I wonder who these bones belong to. From the aches and pains and complaining joints I suspect they belong to someone else, because they certainly don't feel like my own. Oh it's slow going some mornings. No longer do I rise from a restfull slumber full of energy and ready to take on the world with a moments notice. Now it's a slow process.. first rising to a sitting position with both feet on the floor.. visually checking to verify they are actually on the floor before trying to stand up. Then there's the actually straightening up after standing.. got to let those back bones ratchet into postion in small increments. Once standing, straight, stretching the arms high to loosen up the back muscles and shoulder and arm muscles.. remembering, often too late, not to fully extend the arms because of the ceiling fan.. (OW OW OW OW) Stumble off to the bathroom rubbing eyes, yawning and <ahem> scratching.. all over. A little water on the face to wash off the sleep from the eyes and to help wake up. Other various morning ablutions.. nuff said..
And then it's stumble back to the bedroom to get dressed. Muscles, bones and joints still protesting and or refusing to cooperate. Oh the Joys of early rising. Of course, it beats the alternative.. the ground never warms up that much.
Today is Saturday.. the weekend.. the first of two days off.. what in the He** am I doing getting up at dawn?.. BEFORE DAWN! Why to feed my addiction of course.. to metal detect! Hmm.. a little shot of adrenaline loosens up the joints! Well to be honest, it's actually Sunday and I'm relating yesterday's adventures, but I digress. It's the weekend, the weather is supposed to be nice at least through the first half of the day today (yesterday), a local park hosted a free movie showing Friday night and the weather last night was gorgeous as well... so I'm up early to beat the heat of the sun and the crowds that will surely descend on the park later in the morning.
Free Friday Flicks, as it is known, is a program put on by a local TV station, and lots of local businesses and organizations. They show recently first run "family friendly" movies on a big screen outdoors at the park.. of course there are lots of vendors and promoters there as well. People bring their blankets, carloads of kids, and adults for that matter, and enjoy the movie for free under the stars.. weather permitting. Well last night was very nice, and the turn out was huge. Hey, and we all know that where there is a large gathering of people... there will be treasures to find afterwards. So I'm up early on my Saturday off and heading out to the dew dampened grassy hillside that multitudes of people were sprawled out on blankets and mats the night before.
Starting at the bottom of the hill, closest to the screen, I began combing back and forth across the hill one detector swing wide at a time. Now we all know that it's best to overlap our swings "lanes" a little to ensure that we don't miss anything, but sometimes that easier said than done. I'm sure I missed spots, and went over the same spots more than once because sometimes it's just hard to tell where you've been already without "land marks" to go by. In this kind of situation, I use whatever is laying around to assist my "path keeping".. like the refuse that people inevitably leave behind. The spilled popcorn, discarded candy wrappers, half eaten fruit, lost or discarded promotional items...

5-31-09 025Stuff.jpg

I found dozens of pens and pencils, a couple of these little "hackey sack" balls, and even this one lollipop ring (unopened still) and a pair of children's sunglasses.. as well as other goodies. A couple of toy cars..

5-31-09 018Cars1.jpg

"VROOM VROOM".. <grin> One was on the surface, the other I actually dug up.. probably from last year or the year before.. yeah.. you never completely hunt out a sight.. there is always something missed. I wish I could miss a lot of the trash that gets dug up.. can slaw, foil, and pull tabs.. I found quite a selection of pull tabs Saturday morning..

5-31-09 027PullTabs.jpg

There was some bling too... a Hello Kitty Watch, still working I might add, a hair clasp for a little Princess.. a gumball machine ring that had been stepped on I think. Seen here with this aluminum disk that had this blue material glued to either side.. don't know what it's supposed to be..

5-31-09 011Kitty.jpg
5-31-09 012Princess.jpg

Halfway up the hill I came across another little treasure.. of the more high tech variety.. a Cell Phone!..

5-31-09 019Cell.jpg

Granted, it's not exactly a new phone, but it does have a camera built in.. however, it must have had something wrong with it as I think it was given to a kid as a toy or something. When I flipped it over and removed the back (when it wouldn't respond to any buttons) I found this..

5-31-09 020CellBack.jpg

No battery or SIM card, tells me it was given to a kid as a toy. Oh well, it was still a cool find. The next piece of technology was a cool find too, and it still worked! I can and probably will employ it myself. Check it out..

5-31-09 021PedComp.JPG

...a working pedometer! I've never seen this make before, but it appears to have a USB-2 connection on one side <shrug> Another addition to an already loaded finds bag Saturday morning. There were a couple of odd finds as well.. one tiny little lock, probably off of some sort of diary or something similar, though it looks to be a more substantial lock than those I've seen on books before. <shrug>Another one to add to my collection. Not far from there was another odd find, at least for a park hillside that hosts so many people.. Spent ammunition!..

5-31-09 015LockedNLoadedcomp.JPG

Perhaps it was picked up by some kid somewhere else and later dropped in a pocket spill here on the hillside.. it's been there for a little while, as I dug this up from under the grass roots.. another item not found on previous hunts I guess. Of course I don't mind finding things previously missed.. be they treasures, trash or other goodies.. or coins. I dug a surprisingly big percentage of the coins found Saturday as opposed to picking them out of the grass from a more recent pocket spill or loss.

And there were other things too, most of which you've seen already.. but this one made me sit back and wonder a bit.. that's before I had to get up, creaking bones and protesting joints and all.. and do the happy dance! <grin> I found SILVER!!! Someone had lost their St. Michael Pendant. Now I'm not Catholic or very well versed in the various patron saints and what not, so I have no idea (hence the wondering earlier) just as to what St. Michael is the patron saint of.. <shrug> Maybe he has something to do with finders of lost things..? <grin>

5-31-09 007StMikeComp.JPG

The pendant may not be huge, but it certainly made a pleasant sounding "Clink" when I added it to my finds bag.. Isn't that a wonderful sound, musical even. "Clink" I heard it a lot Saturday morning, I knew I'd found quite a bit of coin, but had not honestly been keeping count, so aside fromthe weight of my finds bag, I had no idea just how much I had found till later in the day when I got home and actually sorted it all out and rediscovered all my finds for the day. Not a bad day at all. I mean I've had better days, but they are more the exception than the rule. I've had lesser days, but any day you can detect, and find anything! is not a bad day at all either. Saturday was somewhere in the middle, well, maybe a little towards the higher end.. after all, I *DID* find some silver! <grin> I cleaned it all up and took all these pictures while I was cooking dinner. Well, grilling that is, slow roasted pork tenderloin, but I digress again.. <grin> Here's the last pic, the clad found for the day. It still amazes me how much and how fast some of these Lincoln Memorial Cents "dissolve" in the dirt. <shaking head in shame and disgust> "Zincolns" SUCK! Ok, there! I've said it. I'm sure I get lots of agreement from many of you out there. It's a crying shame that this great nation has shifted to making "coin of the realm" that will NOT withstand the trials of time.. I wonder how long it will be before they stop making coins at all.. all electronic currency.. scary isn't it? <shuddering> Then EVERYTHING we dig up will be collectable!

5-31-09 005Clad.jpg

Oh.. after spending the morning detecting, my wife and I went out to lunch (Yes I have to pay my dues) and then took in a movie.. the new Disney Pixar animated "Up".. in 3-D no less! SO COOL! If you have kids, go see it!, If you don't have kids.. GO SEE IT! It's Great! Surprisingly, it'll likely to make you teary eyed a time or two though, there is an element of loss in the movie but it plays out well with the story. I HIGHLY RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE! Other than that little plug, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and get to get out and enjoy your families, and or your hobbies! AS always...

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

Upvote 0

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As always, reading your post is as good as looking at the finds ;D

can not wait to next weekend, HH
3ringer

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love reading your Narratives...It seems like there's never a dull moment with you. Cool Finds by the way. Cool Pics Too. Congrats and HH ;D

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good stuff as always Frodov.......I found exactly $7.04 this weekend as well. There's another two-fer! (referring to my post from today). I need to play the lottery or something. :tongue3:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
popcorn2 said:
WHEN IS THE BOOK COMING OUT I WOULD REALLY ENJOY READING IT

You know I keep getting that from people.. I don't know whether to take it as a bit of hint that I get too long winded when I make a post here.. or if it's indeed encouragement to actually write a book. <grin> But if I *DO* write a book, everyone online here will know about it, that's for sure. <grin>

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. Hunts where I find a wide variety of interesting items are my favorite kinds of hunts. Although, a hunt where I just dug 1 kind of item, say maybe gold rings wouldn't be so bad :wink:

The aluminum disc with the blue fabric on it is from a blanket. There is 1 sewn into each corner to keep it in place when laid flat. I have found a few on the beach.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I wear a St. Michael pendant around my neck. St. Michael is the patron Saint for police officers, I am sure there may be other meanings but very popular with the law enforcement community. Hope that helps.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
RiverRat3 said:
Hello, I wear a St. Michael pendant around my neck. St. Michael is the patron Saint for police officers, I am sure there may be other meanings but very popular with the law enforcement community. Hope that helps.

Amen to that RiverRat3 (I wear St. William while patrolling - my namesake).

Nice finds Frodov!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
popcorn2 said:
WHEN IS THE BOOK COMING OUT I WOULD REALLY ENJOY READING IT

You know I keep getting that from people.. I don't know whether to take it as a bit of hint that I get too long winded when I make a post here.. or if it's indeed encouragement to actually write a book. <grin> But if I *DO* write a book, everyone online here will know about it, that's for sure. <grin>

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I need to say that any time I see one of your posts it gets read... your stories of treasure hunting are superb!

And if you write a book I'll buy one! ;D

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov we hunt so differently, I find , your finds an stories very interesting!! There are so many different ways to enjoy this hobby!! Keep moving or we stop moving!! MaineRelic.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
Do you keep items such as the sunglasses and hair barrette in your finds bag or worn on your person while detecting?
Sometimes to save room in my pockets, I will keep wearable items physically on my person.
Sunglasses with one remaining lens are a "coin-toss".

Well I guess it depends on how "pretty" it is.. <laughing> I don't think the glasses were my style though. The hair barrette would have looked like a fishing lure on my head though. <falling out of the chair laughing>
No, generally everything I find goes into the finds bag.. trash gets portioned out to the nearest garbage can.. except for the inevitable pull tabs, they're mixed in too well to get all of them out when standing at a garbage can. I keep everything in bags at home in my "treasure chest". A bag for glasses and sunglasses, a bag for toy cars, a bag for locks and keys, a bag for junk jewelry, a bag for nicer (real) jewelry, a separate bag for foreign coins and tokens, a bag for wheat pennies, and of course a ba gor clad.. well.. till there is enough for a roll of any one denomination then it gets rolled up and moved to the vacation fund. <smile> I'm already rebuilding that from just recently depleting it. As for keeping all this stuff... I donate the useable toys to GoodWill, there is a local "cause" that collects old eye glasses and stuff to be recycled and possibly reused by lesser fortunate members of society. So most all of it goes to a good cause. Even so... that little treasure chest of mine is brimming with finds that need to find a new home. On rainy days it's fun sometimes to go through it and sort things out and move them to bags elsewhere.. like the garage. like the bucket of golfballs I have out there.. for some reason, possibly because I hunt a lot of parks, I find lots of golf balls.<shrug>

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread