Long Time Relic-Hunter - First Time anything like this . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not a novice that jumps to conclusions. Been relic hunting since 1969 but never found something like this.

"Hot rocks" are generally light. This is heavy (not like lead, like heavy iron).

It is magnetic, but only on one side. Not found near anything else that looks of feels like this. Not near any industry or a blacksmith shop. Found in a field in Hanover County Virginia that has been in cultivation for at least 200 years. I stress, nothing else found that looks or feels like this. I have no idea what it is, and would just like to know. In the light, as you turn it, it has many sparkles that reflect light, but they are tiny specks. Found with a metal detector, not a surface find. Anybody can educate me??

DSCN8422.jpg

DSCN8423.jpg

DSCN8424.jpg

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can tell you what it isn’t
it is not a meteorite.
it would be worth the effort to clean it up to get a better look at those crystals

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Magnetic on only one side, and showing multiple small air-bubbles, sounds like iron-foundry slag. As you probably already know, there were more than just a few "local" iron-refining furnaces in this part of Virginia. The best-known one might be the Katherine Furnace, of Chancellorsville battlefield fame. Another is the Colonial-era Falling Creek Ironfoundry, just south of the Richmond City Limits on what is now US Hwy. #1.Some foundries are so desperate to get rid of the always-growing piles of refinery slag that they'd pay you to come haul the stuff away. As a result, the slag got used darn-near everywhere... particularly, as a cheaper substitute for gravel. I can testify that the Colonial-through-civil-war era sidewalks of Fredericksburg were literally paved with iron slag. Farmers would use it to "fix" mudholes on roads and paths on their property.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with cannonballguy. Metallic slag. I found a 12 pound piece once, and thought it was a meteorite, but it a "melt" of chromium from the mine which was 15 miles away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with cannonballguy. Metallic slag. I found a 12 pound piece once, and thought it was a meteorite, but it a "melt" of chromium from the mine which was 15 miles away.

Alan, Tc, Smokey and Pete - THANK YOU GUYS! Wanted to make sure I wasn't about to take something valuable and "fix the mudhole in my driveway!" Learn something new about a MD find? It's a good day!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread