Look at photos and identify please

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
I found this at a Union Campsite last week and just took it out of it's electrolysis bath tonight for photos. This piece of iron is 6" long, 4 1/2" wide, and 1/2" thick. It was practically solid rust but I could tell even before I started cleaning it that it had a "horse" on it and since Sherman's Right Wing camped here and included a Cavalry detachment I naturally was hoping for the best. I am including a photo of the back of the relic as well as the front. The back looks like a waffle iron. Could this be part of a stove? This area gives up of Union and Rebel items. I would appreciate any input that any of you can offer as to what this is.
Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 643

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Cheese,
You waffle iron guessers have me convinced. I think you must be right. I assume that this piece was heated and then placed down on the batter which was in another pan? Anyway, it is an interesting piece and since it was found about 9" down in a campsite I am convinced that it was being used in the CW even though I think it dates from before then. I also like your idea that it possibly is European. That would explain the appearance of the horsemen. Gypsyheart has just posted a very viable theory, also. Thanks everybody for all the posts.
Ron

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
okay.....I now think.....LOL....that it could be a waffle iron....and can see the positioning of the iron tong handles in photo below....but i do think that it is of french design/origin....which would have been a oublie wafer maker .....now go find the other half and lets eat! ;)

Attachments

• dscn9378.jpg
    dscn9378.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Good photo Gypsyheart! I searched and searched for a pic like that. Where did you end up finding it?

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I'd say that's probably a positive ID, neat find, WTG!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Gypsyheart you have totally convinced me. I went back today and looked over the area in which I found it, but no luck finding the rest. There will always be another day of detecting, though. I really appreciate all of you guys jumping in and collectively making the i.d.. I just hate that it might be French. If it is it probably left the owner looking for someone to surrender to.
Ron

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Cool! I was also thinking French. In fact, I almost said "French" instead of "European", but I'm not an expert by any means so I kept it general. I suppose it could still be CW related. I doubt the military issued waffle irons, so why not a French iron?

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

It's a commemerative Lipazon Stallion stove lid.
Or not.
The french didn't make waffles. They made crepes.

Obviously I don't have a clue what is. But it's a neat find. WTG!! HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the post, Rvbvetter. Now if I can just find the other side and the syrup can that I'm sure is there we'll have a Georgia waffle/crepe breakfast. lol

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
actually the French call them oublie makers .....or wafers .....street venders began selling them on the streets.....stuffing them with fruit and heavy cream......me...its a waffle....when do we all come for breakfast ,Ron??? nhbenz will bring NH syrup, I will bring Wisconsin butter....

Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waffle Iron.....That is was it is ...easy to cook with not only for waffles but you could also cook meat with it....Use it for heating any food....They use the same thing today but less crude....Just stick the iron in the fire and within a few minutes the food is done....Now i'm hungry !! Nice find... Seeker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Seeker. After I get it cleaned better I'll try out all of the recipes that you guys sent.
Ron

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Like I stated before. I don't have a clue (ask anybody) what it is. But if it's a waffle plate, it sure would have made some weird looking waffles. Everything is reversed (the pattern) from the waffle and waffle Iron we know of today. HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread