What's new

Looking for a new detector that is more visual than my Tesoro

CoinsAndThings

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Messages
313
Reaction score
638
Golden Thread
0
Location
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Notka Simplex Ultra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I've gotten older my hearing is getting worse and I'm looking for an inexpensive metal detector that has visual cues. I really like my Tesoro, but it has no visual cues what so ever. It's not so much the hearing as it is the subtle differences in tones and volume. I'm looking hard at the ACE400. Currently Garrett is offering 20% off their regular price until the end of May, which makes it very appealing. It appears to be well suited for my level of experience and budget, so I'm leaning hard in that direction. I realize that almost all detectors rely on audible cues, but I think at least some visual aids would be quite helpful

I would appreciate any input pro or con, or other alternatives. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
If budget is an issue, I'd look at the Nokta line of detectors. Much better than the Ace line of detectors in my opinion.
 
As I've gotten older my hearing is getting worse and I'm looking for an inexpensive metal detector that has visual cues. I really like my Tesoro, but it has no visual cues what so ever. It's not so much the hearing as it is the subtle differences in tones and volume. I'm looking hard at the ACE400. Currently Garrett is offering 20% off their regular price until the end of May, which makes it very appealing. It appears to be well suited for my level of experience and budget, so I'm leaning hard in that direction. I realize that almost all detectors rely on audible cues, but I think at least some visual aids would be quite helpful

I would appreciate any input pro or con, or other alternatives. Thanks
I have the same issue.
I can't distinguish the different tones.
Let us know what you find.
I chose a different route for myself.
 
Thanks for the replies. I.Cutler, I'll take a look at the Nokta's
 
I took a look at the Nokta Simplex Ultra. That's a nice machine. Plus it vibrates on the detection of a target. Which they advertise as being useful in murky conditions of "for the hearing impaired". It has good reviews, though one review mentioned the lower shaft as being flimsy. That review was in 2022. So hopefully that has been corrected.
 
Just my PERSONAL opinion, I would steer clear of Garrett's they are an old name in the business but everyone I've known personally with one, had a hard time finding stuff, and always seemed to not go very well..
Just my 2 cents..
 
Just my PERSONAL opinion, I would steer clear of Garrett's they are an old name in the business but everyone I've known personally with one, had a hard time finding stuff, and always seemed to not go very well..
Just my 2 cents..
That's what I've heard from several people. My very first detector was a Garrett. But that was over 30 years ago. And I think the only other option at that time was either a White's or way out of my price range. My second, the Tesoro, I bought at the recommendation of a local dealer. Honestly I wish they hadn't gone out of business. Who knows what they would have by now.
I've always been somewhat brand loyal, but after looking around more, I think there are better options than the Garrett.
 
That's what I've heard from several people. My very first detector was a Garrett. But that was over 30 years ago. And I think the only other option at that time was either a White's or way out of my price range. My second, the Tesoro, I bought at the recommendation of a local dealer. Honestly I wish they hadn't gone out of business. Who knows what they would have by now.
I've always been somewhat brand loyal, but after looking around more, I think there are better options than the Garrett.
My first machine (1986) was a whites I think, then I went to Tesoro, for MANY, many years, Tesoro, then to a Whites DFX, (++10 years) great Machine, and now I use a DEUS I and II
Yes sad that Tesoro went out of business, but I think they had a hard time converting to the digital age.. Almost all their detectors were Analog.. with one they tried to do a digital screen and it was a flop..
I used Many many of their machines in my early years and they were top notch... but technology kinda left them behind...
Whites I think the original owner got too old to continue running the business, and they bailed.. leaving their machines and tech to Garrett...
Which is where you have to go now for parts... Tesoro I can't tell you where you get parts now..
 
I've found a used Nokta Simplex Ultra locally. I checked and it's the newer style with carbon fiber shafts both upper and lower. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. If it is as advertised I'll have a new/used detector!
 
I would be very careful with Nokta... I just bought a new Legend, and am struggling to match the product to the name !! These machines are fiddly, settings where you don't need settings etc... chattery and unstable.. Go for a minelab machine, a 700 or even a used 600 equinox,, no non-sense machines with reliable ground balance (auto) and a big back-lit visual ID ...
Garrett's are basically toys.
AD
 
I would be very careful with Nokta... I just bought a new Legend, and am struggling to match the product to the name !! These machines are fiddly, settings where you don't need settings etc... chattery and unstable.. Go for a minelab machine, a 700 or even a used 600 equinox,, no non-sense machines with reliable ground balance (auto) and a big back-lit visual ID ...
Garrett's are basically toys.
AD
Even a used Nox 800
 
The Nox 600 has the same depth performance as the 800, you can get either machine for comparatively cheap for what they are (arguably the best detectors of the early 2020's). The digital screens are big and have backlight if you need it, the numbers are huge and make tones unnecessary (especially if you can't hear them anyway). You could turn the volume completely off and still find the same stuff you would otherwise. A great detector, Equinox 600 or 800, they're the same unless you plan on gold prospecting then go with the 800.
 
I bought the Nokta. We'll see how it goes. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet in the field.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom