Garrett Ace 350, Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote Originally Posted by SeaninNH View Post

I'll give you a few more than 3 lol

Do read your manual
Do read your manual again
Do read your manual once again.
Do go in your back yard with your detector and read your manual again.
Do cut plugs. Don't dig "holes"
Do sweep all the dirt you can back into your plug hole.
Do replace your plug.
Do your best to leave the area looking as if you were never there.
Do fill in your holes if you do dig one. Holes are ok to dig on the beach or in the woods where you don't have to worry about digging a hole, but ALWAYS fill in your holes.
Do swing parallel to the ground.
Do swing slow.
Do dig every target because I've had rings come up as pulltabs, nickles, quarters and even pennies. I've also had deeper signals change when you get some dirt out of the plug hole.
Do take your findings even if they are trash. Just throw the trash away.
Do look at old maps of the areas you want to hunt.
Do show land owners what you find if you get permission to hunt on their land. It's not worth it to hide the "good" stuff. You may lose out on a hunting spot if you do.
Do offer said land owner their pick of the findings and don't be upset if they take the "good" stuff.
Do be happy that you could find it in the first place.
Do try to return any items that you can if possible. You'll find that returning a ring will make you feel a LOT better than keeping or selling it.
Do get a sturdy digging tool. I use a small 30" shovel with a 6" head and I love it. I paid $7 for it at home depot.
And the most important Do there is.... DO POST YOUR FINDINGS ON TNET!

Don't wear steel toe boots. You'll be chasing signals all day.
Don't arch your swing.
Don't get frustrated. You will most likely get frustrated at times. Swing through it and remember that you can't find "good" stuff every time you hunt.
Don't just wander onto people's land withought asking permission.
Don't let idiots get to you. You will have kids reaching in your holes, they are just either curious excited kids. You will have people harassing you about digging in the parks or taunting you about beeing poor. They are just idiots that don't have a clue. Ignore it and keep on swinging.
Don't forget that it's a hoby and not a job. Have fun with it.

HH

Talk about being a newb!! LMAO @ myself. I went on my first md'ing trip Saturday and was confused as to why I was getting these weird signals that wouldn't repeat. DUH, finally figured it was my steel toes!! I laughed so hard at myself, people were staring. Lesson learned, extended shaft and reach= no more steel-toe beeps. I also figured that md'ing here in south Louisiana for me is "mosquito detecting".

u2nav

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined. I am in Shreveport and looking for a club in the vicinity. Any help?

SilentScope

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone new member to the site but detecting the Denham Springs/ BR area. Always looking for some new digging friends.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live over by Biloxi but would be willing to head over to LA if anyone in the Slidell area wanted to hunt

Donald70448

Feb 22, 2014
Mandeville, La
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mandeville here always looking to hunt ! I have XP deus and AT Pro

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
Shreveport here.
u2nav, There use to be 2 clubs here. One in Bossier and the other in Keithville. I don't believe they are active any longer.

LouisianaLana

Oct 7, 2016
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shreveport here - I've been rockhounding the SBC area for a couple years now, looking for anything unique, but hoping to find Caddo/Paleo artifacts. No arrowheads yet, but I've collected heaps of colored quartz, agates, & petrified wood specimens lol. I've been reading up on the abandoned river courses/channels in this area and it seems like my best bet. Has anyone been?

jajbs920

Oct 16, 2016
Baton Rouge
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie...Baton Rouge. Just moved back into the country a year ago after being gone for 5. Just ordered a new machine and I'm ready to get back at it.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie...Baton Rouge. Just moved back into the country a year ago after being gone for 5. Just ordered a new machine and I'm ready to get back at it.
Welcome back!

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covington here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread