Map dowsers - put your skills to the test?

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Congratulations Red Desert. Hey Deepsecrets how was Red Deserts estimate of depth compared to what you buried them? Jimmygoat

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmygoat said:
Congratulations Red Desert. Hey Deepsecrets how was Red Deserts estimate of depth compared to what you buried them? Jimmygoat

The coins were not buried...they were concealed under a rock at the base of a tree.

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Thanks Deepsecrets, Reread your post and you did say you concealed the coins, I need to pay more attention. :)

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Awesome, Red!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
jimmygoat said:

The coins were not buried...they were concealed under a rock at the base of a tree.

Thanks Deepsecrets, I just sent you a PM. It is fun!!!!

Well, the thickness of the rock could be considered a depth, since the coins were not uncovered while on the surface.

There is an explanation why this worked for me in the dowsing here. Later I'll have to share the "how & whys of it" and I could very easily have missed the coins too! :icon_sunny:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NorthWind said:
Awesome!

Congrats, Red Desert!

I can't wait until spring! I've got faith in you!

Thanks Northwind! I do have confidence in the other dowsers, because in dowsing maps for lost treasures...so often, I'll post the results and then look at it afterward, then notice one of the other dowsers had marked the exact same spot. We all can find lost treasure, it really isn't hard for dowsers. But, it is lost treasure, these coins were treasure except not really lost or buried, only concealed. It took me a while to figure that out...after I had finished marking every lost or buried silver treasure.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr.Jody said:
I was close, Im happy... :coffee2: wow, he seemed to hit it dead on!!?? :dontknow:

Glad you participated MrJody...can't wait until someone finds what is buried where the storehouse used to be...large X in circle at bottom, must be a cache no doubt...is a little deep though.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JudyH said:
Great job, Red!! :icon_thumright:

I intend to get some good closeup photos taken to post of the coins. I've wanted to at times, go do some hunting for Spanish silver, but we just don't have them around my area. If I go to Florida sometime, I'll be better prepared to locate similar coins at places like "Chuck's Steak House" just north of Sebastian Inlet. The shipwreck experts in the Shipwreck board claim those coins found in back of there, are from the missing galleon of the 1715 Fleet. We know that there is at least one of the ships still missing.

Anyway, I'm feeling more confident now on locating Spanish treasure coins...not that I wasn't but even more than before!

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red_desert said:
deepsecrets said:
jimmygoat said:

Thanks Deepsecrets, I just sent you a PM. It is fun!!!!

Well, the thickness of the rock could be considered a depth, since the coins were not uncovered while on the surface.

There is an explanation why this worked for me in the dowsing here. Later I'll have to share the "how & whys of it" and I could very easily have missed the coins too! :icon_sunny:

Red - coins will be on their way to you today, yes, the thickness of the rock could be a factor - it was about 3" thick on average. Some of the relics found in the past at the location of the barns/storehouse include an ornate colonial silver shoe buckle, half-real coin, and CW-era curry-comb.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
Thanks to all who participated in this exercise - some very interesting results indeed. Knowing the history of this property, you can be sure I will be out with my detector when the ground thaws! Okay, it would appear the Red_Desert nailed the location of the coins - so, well done and please PM me your mailing address to where I can send the coins. :hello2:

This exercise was not intended to discredit dowsing and there probably be some who will point to the results and claim it proves dowsing doesn't work. To me it reveals that dowsing most definately can work and the importance of asking the right question when dowsing, for example, if asking where the coins are "buried", the results will be off as the coins were not "buried" but "concealed". Are there buried coins on this property? - most likely and I do intend to post anything I find based on these dowsing results. I have marked on the final image locations where other dowsers have indicated targets, and also the location of the original barns, storehouse, and blacksmith forge for the plantation that were burned by Union troops during the Shenandoah Valley campaign, and locations of where colonial silver coins and buttons have been found using a metal detector in the past.

Thanks again, next time I intend to "conceal" a gold coin and let you all give it a shot.

Deepsecrets,
What does the red arrow in the top picture represent?
Jon

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subject: (No subject)

Jon - the arrow points to where the coins were placed under a rock at the base of a tree.

So where red desert said the 2 mexican coins were, they were not there at all, but rather His hit was very close to the true location of the mexican coins as he marked in a blue circle with a black x. There were more than 3 of these blue circles with black x's in them. That was against your rules was'nt it? If you are going to make a contest then why not adhere to what you say you are going to do and that goes for those who are participating in the contest. It looks to me that Mr. Tim Williams was the closest by his posting date to the targets based on your initial "first to come closest criteria."
Jon

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:

Jon - the arrow points to where the coins were placed under a rock at the base of a tree.

So where red desert said the 2 mexican coins were, they were not there at all, but rather His hit was very close to the true location of the mexican coins as he marked in a blue circle with a black x. There were more than 3 of these blue circles with black x's in them. That was against your rules was'nt it? If you are going to make a contest then why not adhere to what you say you are going to do and that goes for those who are participating in the contest. It looks to me that Mr. Tim Williams was the closest by his posting date to the targets based on your initial "first to come closest criteria."
Jon

The first hit for the Mexican coins was the X in the circle with the arrows and only after all the other silver targets identified...but after this there couldn't be a 2nd Mexican coin found. So, I enlarged the spot in Paint Shop Pro and dowsed the enlarged circled X. This is when I dowsed 2 coins instead of one. I placed the arrows while enlarged in Paint Shop Pro to make sure they point exactly as dowsed.

The last and final dowsing of the spot was the arrows, with 2 hits. I did say before even starting that all the other silver target signals would first be identified and marked. Afterwards, I'd search for the Mexican coins and mark them too.

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:

Jon

Now Jon, were your comments REALLY necessary? I never used the word CONTEST in any of my postings, I consider this to be an exercise in dowsing. You had an opportunity to submit just like everyone else but you chose not to. As far as Tim's locations - they were over 200 feet from where the coins were - not close, in fact no one came closer than Red. I think he should be congratulated on his effort.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
teleprospector said:

Jon

Now Jon, were your comments REALLY necessary? I never used the word CONTEST in any of my postings, I consider this to be an exercise in dowsing. You had an opportunity to submit just like everyone else but you chose not to. As far as Tim's locations - they were over 200 feet from where the coins were - not close, in fact no one came closer than Red. I think he should be congratulated on his effort.

I need to mention one more thing...when I got the Mexican coin hit it wasn't while using a pendulum. I had picked up a pair of L-rods, standing back a few feet from my computer screen. The rods crossed. So, I moved forward a little and the rods spread. Moving the rods up and down, at that spot the rods swung together.

I had the photo in Paint Shop Pro at the time, marked it in the program. If I had printed out the map and pendulum dowsed the spot, it should have been more accurate. But, as any dowser knows...L-rods can be difficult to mark, especially if dowsing from computer screen rather than a printed map.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
teleprospector said:

Jon

Blah Blah Blah, Yes my comments are necessary,
Tim's post was closer than Red desert based on the time of the post, so Tim should get the coins.
It does not matter that Red was spot on, his post came afterwards.

If you wanted the winner to be spot on, then you should not have said "first to come closest".

Your not giving credit where credit is due here, this is my issue, it has nothing to do with me not dowsing the photo. As regards me choosing not to dowse it, you changed the finish date from your original post rules.
I don't dowse by someone else's time schedule unless they are paying me to do so, and I'm not about to start, especially when we were told we had till month's end, then you changed it to a shorter time.

Let's review:
Red desert made a silver coin location with a blue circle and black x. You said 3 hits per dowser. There were more than 3 of those. Your red arrow indicated where the mexican coins really were, at one of red deserts blue circles and black x, that proves that photo dowsing works, thats all.
Red desert stated the location of the 2 mexican coins was way further south of the true location. You said "first to come closest", based on the time of the post and that would be Tim Williams. He made 2 locations and that post was dated before red desert posted his, even though they were not as close as Red deserts who came after.

You need to say what you mean and mean what you say.
Your good at talking the talk, but not walking the talk.
I don't feel you are being truthful about what you did here and/or you don't understand your own rules.
Care to double tongue your way out of this?
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread