Marvel 1990's Hologram Cards Uncut Sheets

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I was contacted by an estate sale company I deal with about some Marvel comics and trading cards. When I looked at the collection most of it was common items from the early 90's. However there were several uncut sheets of hologram cards from 1993. Each sheet has a card taped to the back with technical data and some of the cards have been marked where the 3D effect is slightly flawed. The sheets appear to be either prints run as test samples prior to production or sheets that were pulled for quality control reasons. Unfortunately I don't have pictures.

One of the sheets was 2 vertical rows of 5 (or 6) Spiderman vs Venom cards. That particular individual card sells on eBay for $20-40. I'm trying to find out if there is any additional value due to these being uncut sheets. I did find a listing on ebay for $399 for an uncut sheet of a different card. It has a bonus set with it AND hasn't sold. Here's the ebay listing:

1994 Marvel Amazing Spiderman Hologram Insert 16 Card Uncut Sheet With Bonus | eBay

I contacted a comic book dealer that also sells cards. He said he didn't know much about the cards but didn't believe the uncut sheets would be worth much & to check eBay. I also found a Facebook group for Marvel cards & posted there but haven't got any replies. Anyone heard of such a thing and/or can help out with value?

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Maybe you want to hold on to those cards until the Venom movie comes out. I think that it is in production now. So, you may have to hold on to them for a couple of years, but they will be hotter when the movie arrives.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I collected cards in the '90's there were special cards inserted into some packs and boxes that were redeemable for premium autographed cards or memorabilia. Printing plates and uncut sheets were offered as well and the practice continues today with the addition of world leaders, actors and prominent figures in history.
Unfortunately for me, and you, the 90's marked the beginning of the end for serious collectors when companies began flooding the market with autographed and 'game-used' memorabilia cards. Pack and box prices soared as collectors dreamt of pulling that elusive Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb auto. I once pulled an autographed Barry Sanders card that had four balogna-sliced chunks of his helmet facemask and was numbered to 25. Beckett listed the value as $650.00.
I was also able to purchase an authentic autographed Albert Pujols baseball at a time when he started with the Cardinals. I bought it from my retail card store for $30 and sold it several years later for $350 so I did get lucky a few times.
I got in on the Death of Superman hype and purchased four sealed copies of Superman #75 in the 90's. What a crock that was. Superman can't be killed.
Best I can offer, especially considering the era of the collection is, it's a crapshoot. If you like it for yourself and buy it to enjoy it, you can't go wrong.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One surprising piece on this is these items are actually actively selling, rather than being posted for XYZ and never being sold. They are going for 20-30 per card, so a very safe value would be at least 200 resale. Is it just the 1 sheet they have? It if were me, I would be trying to acquire them and turn them for up to 75 or so a sheet. I would be shocked if they didnt sell within a year at most. Also, 063 said, they will spike in value anytime a spiderman movie is created.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There were 5 uncut sheets. I mentioned the Spiderman vs Venom sheet because the individual cards actually sell in the $20-40 range. The rest of the individual cards (Silver Surfer, Wolverine, & 2 I didn't recognize) sell in the $3-10 range. Those values are actual sale prices on eBay and there seems to be a decent sell through rate at those prices.

I won't list items that don't meet my minimum profit per item so cutting the sheets & selling individual cards is not an option. I'm not in the business of holding items until some event may or may not raise interest/prices. I don't buy things without having a good idea what they will sell for so these aren't in my possession. The only way I'm interested is if the uncut sheets have value over and above the value of the individual cards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread