What's new

Metal detecting in South Miami Beach

Capt.Betances

Full Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Messages
228
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Location
Edison, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Vortex VX9, ATMAX, GTI 2500, Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett ACE 400, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Eagle Eye, LRL, Audio generator app Tone, home-made dowsing L-rod,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks
I'm planning to metal detecting in South Miami Beach. However, I'm not familiarized with that area and the county regulations.
Any suggestion will be welcome, thank you and blessings 🙌
 
Last edited:
Upvote 5
Hi folks
I'm planning to metal detecting in South Miami Beach. However, I'm not familiarized with that area and the county regulations.
Any suggestion will be welcome, thank you and blessings 🙌
South Beach and points north of there been very good to me
some days can have a lot of competition
Going in at low tides around sunrise are my fav times
 
Im from Ma.
I used to try and get down there a couple times a year - yrs ago
99% of my finds from Florida were made in waters down there
here are just some of my good finds from down there
always wonder how i wouldve done had i moved down there

 
Im from Ma.
I used to try and get down there a couple times a year - yrs ago
99% of my finds from Florida were made in waters down there
here are just some of my good finds from down there
always wonder how i wouldve done had i moved down there

1744997956091.gif
 
Im from Ma.
I used to try and get down there a couple times a year - yrs ago
99% of my finds from Florida were made in waters down there
here are just some of my good finds from down there
always wonder how i wouldve done had i moved down there

Casper, If you live in MA, what scoop do you use? because to carry a long scoop inside a luggage is not possible.
 
Casper, If you live in MA, what scoop do you use? because to carry a long scoop inside a luggage is not possible.
2 piece RTG travel scoop
heavy gauge aluminum - i had one long ago - one i have now i had them put a stainless sharper lip on it so i could get threw some soils easier
apr2715.webp
 
Hi folks
I'm planning to metal detecting in South Miami Beach. However, I'm not familiarized with that area and the county regulations.
Any suggestion will be welcome, thank you and blessings 🙌
try and make some Florida friends here- maybe you can hook up with a few guys and maybe some one will lend you a long handle if you dont want to buy a travel model
I met one of my best friends in my world at South Beach and we're still friends to this day
I think its been over 20 yrs now - he always tells me to leave my equipment home when i go down cause he has plenty but i like using my own - i can be pretty rough on my equipment
our first meeting at South BEACH - I got into a good blow out with older finds and waved him over
image000000 (tt.webp
 
If you water hunt
recommend wearing a sweatshirt or a dive jacket - i wear not so much for warmth but to keep
jellyfish - especially man-o-wars off me
I also wear some sort of glove - dont have to be nothing expensive - once again for jellyfish
i can just push them aside - recommend some sort of lycra or stretchy bike shorts under your bathing suit
will stop micro corals and sands getting in your groin area and prevent chafing
 
If you water hunt
recommend wearing a sweatshirt or a dive jacket - i wear not so much for warmth but to keep
jellyfish - especially man-o-wars off me
I also wear some sort of glove - dont have to be nothing expensive - once again for jellyfish
i can just push them aside - recommend some sort of lycra or stretchy bike shorts under your bathing suit
will stop micro corals and sands getting in your groin area and prevent chafing
I also wear a high top dive boot - usually with a good sole
you wear water shoes or something that allows corals and sand it - can rough up your feet
you can also come across broken glass now and then or sharp metals - now and then a sea creature
such as sting rays and small sharks in shallows
live and learn - Ive been detecting since 1975 - everything ive mentioned = ive experienced
 
That's some serious packing.
I try to have 2 of everything
I bring 2 machines (learned my lesson yrs ago - had one break or fail)
2 masks (had a couple stolen on trips)
2 pairs of boots (had damaged a boot)
2 scoops (had fellow hunters break theirs and let them borrow - least 4 guys)
extra gloves for water
light wet suit or jacket and a heavier one
extra pouch
I bring extra rods and batteries and repair goods -
duck tape, super glue, water proof epoxy, zip ties
 
Im from Ma.
I used to try and get down there a couple times a year - yrs ago
99% of my finds from Florida were made in waters down there
here are just some of my good finds from down there
always wonder how i wouldve done had i moved down there

Damn Casper, those are some sweet looking rings.

Man, if you had moved down there, there might not be much left for other hunters, lol.
 
2 piece RTG travel scoop
heavy gauge aluminum - i had one long ago - one i have now i had them put a stainless sharper lip on it so i could get threw some soils easier
View attachment 2203224
Yeah buddy, I've been using my aluminum RTG scoop with straight shaft and stainless-steel lip for well over 10 years.

That scoop is built like a tank and has held up extremely well, there's no chipping on the SS lip, even though digging in wet or shallow water usually involves rocks, stones, shells, etc., and it's never failed me, welds have held up great, so I definitely got more than my money's worth with that scoop.

I always give the scoop a complete and thorough freshwater bath with my garden hose after every hunt, to remove any traces of saltwater, sand, etc., so I think that probably helped the scoop stay in almost new condition and resist corrosion.
 

Attachments

  • Me metal detecting on beach.webp
    Me metal detecting on beach.webp
    87.7 KB · Views: 52
havent been to their site lately but last i saw the scoop i called and asked them to make - they had added it to their their catalog - should have named it the CASPER
What's crazy is that it's only something like an additional $10 to get the SS lip added, well worth it as mine has held up great.
 
2 piece RTG travel scoop
heavy gauge aluminum - i had one long ago - one i have now i had them put a stainless sharper lip on it so i could get threw some soils easier
View attachment 2203224You might want to check RTG if you think you will ever need a spare. Was in her place last week and she mentioned she was stopping production of scoops.
 
You can still get travel versions on many scoops from Reilly's or RTG. I was just in there the other day. It seems things are on the up and up and they're staying around
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom