Metal Detecting Meteorites

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Just got my Jan 2007 issue of WIRED magazine.
There is a 4 page write-up titled "The Meteor Farmer" starting on page 148.

Interesting read. When its available online i'll post a link (probably a few weeks).

Couple quotes from the article...

"Using a souped up metal detector, a shovel, and a treasure map, Steve Arnold combs the flat kansas wheat fields for rocks from outer space"

"about the size of a beer keg, the rock weighed 1,430 pounds, the largest pallasite ever found in the US. By Arnold's reckoning, it was worth more than $1 million."

"one chunk of meteorite called Braveheart is selling at an art gallery for $88,600. The potential buyer is trying to decide between the rock and a Bentley."

cheers,

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting. Is this the same fellow who helped the woman on the TV series "Best Places to Find Cash & Treasures?" That guy had a towable metal detector and he used a backhoe to dig out the meteorites. Obviously the guy on the TV show knew what he was doing. LOL There are some people who make a good living by recovering and selling meteorites. What a great job!!!!

OP
OP
mech

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Not sure if its the same guy, but his "coil" is mounted on a pvc pipe framework and is towed behind an ATV or tractor. And he did use a backhoe to get the 1,430 lb'er out of the ground.

T

TreasureTales

mechtech said:
Not sure if its the same guy, but his "coil" is mounted on a pvc pipe framework and is towed behind an ATV or tractor. And he did use a backhoe to get the 1,430 lb'er out of the ground.

Exactly. Sounds like the same guy from Kansas.

OP
OP
mech

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
When I grow up ;) I wanna be the guy who has the "VERY ROUGH" decision...
Rock? or Bentley? Hmmmmm

Today, i decide if its raman noodles or mac n cheese. LOL

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mechtech
Here is a link to Steve Arnold's site

http://www.worldrecordmeteorite.com/index.htm

This site mainly is about the 1500 lb he first found. He has found several smaller ones. This area is a known strewnfield. People have been finding them there since the 1800's. He leased a lot of land around there area.
Here is another
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2006/February/Meteorite_People.htm

There is another guy near Haviland that has found several too.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-05-10-meteorites-kansas_x.htm

There was one that the scientists came and dug to determine when it fell. 10,000 years ago.

Oh yea, they have a meteorite festival in July. I hear that last year Arnold had the big one there

P

pickaway

I saw him on tv also.He uses a homeade detector the coils is huge and looked to be made out of pvc pipe he pulls it using a 4 wheeler and uses a backhoe to dig em up.aka the becky rock

T

TreasureTales

Interesting article about Arnold. Thanks for posting the link, mechtech. The archies are always complaining about something, those guys need to get in touch with reality. Someday they'll probably convince Congress to outlaw the collection of meteorites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread