Metal detector user David Hutchings jailed for selling fake coins (UK)

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
More on the story at the link.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6261804.ece

---------------
Metal detector user David Hutchings jailed for selling fake coins

David Brown
A metal detector enthusiast who claimed to have discovered hoards of valuable antiquities during years of treasure hunting has been convicted of selling modern fakes.

David Hutchings, known to fellow users as “Coldfeet”, was renowned for finding rare items. But his reputation lies in tatters after he pleaded guilty to five counts of fraud and was jailed for six months.

Hutchings, 43, was the organiser of the Coventry Moles metal detecting club, which held archaeological searches across the Midlands. He used legitimate digs to “discover” fake items before passing them off as genuine antiquities. Some buyers were told that the items had been verified at the British Museum.

Scotland Yard’s Art and Antiques Unit raided his home in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, after an Essex-based dealer raised concerns about a set of coins Hutchings was trying to sell.

During the searches they discovered a number of real coins that are believed to have been used as a base for test striking during the manufacture of some of the fake items.

Warwick Crown Court was told last week that Hutchings had tried to sell the Essex dealer ÂŁ2,000 worth of coins that he said dated from the 1st to the 8th century. He had already sold similar coins to two other dealers for a total of ÂŁ1,400.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really sad how he put such a very low value on his personal honor.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Thanks for the post! I'm glad he went down. I have no use for LIARS and SCAMMERS! I hope they keep him down forever!! HAHA! ;D

B

BIG61AL

I hope he enjoys prison.
How do you think every single buyer of his rare coins feels about their purchase now? Plus he gave all metal detectors a black eye. What a stupid jerk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions