What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Meteorite? Is it worth having lab tested?

Sandmann73

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 12, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I work in the excavation industry and found this. Had a gemologist tell me he was 85% certain is was a meteorite. It does have high magnetic properties and is very dense. In all of my searches, I have not found anything that comes close to resembling it.
Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240726_172449.webp
    IMG_20240726_172449.webp
    814.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20240726_172503.webp
    IMG_20240726_172503.webp
    823.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20240726_172424.webp
    IMG_20240726_172424.webp
    966.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20240726_172233.webp
    IMG_20240726_172233.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Very interesting.
We have many people here that are well versed in meteors... someone here should be able to shed some light on it.
 
Upvote 1
Welcome to Tnet.

I'm 100% certain that it isn't a meteorite.

I see evidence of melting, with some 'swirl and fold' features, but with no evidence of 'flight orientation' from atmospheric passage. There's also no evidence of a fusion crust and no sign of any rusting. There appear to be two phases of different hue running longitudinally in your third and fourth pictures. I would think it's something igneous/volcanic with a proportion of magnetite giving it attraction to a magnet.
 
Upvote 3
Not a meteorite. Volcanic with quartz inclusions?
 
Upvote 0
If you hadn't said, "meteorite" I would have thought volcanic.

I have no idea. I'd show it to an astronomer and ask her/him.

If there aren't any schools of astronomy or planetariums where you can find one, try searching: What is the difference between a meteorite and a lava stone?

The guys here know, and are great. Articles/videos should have pictures, resources, etc.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom