Mexican 1/2 Real and other CW Goodies

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey graciously extended another invitation to me to a great farm site that is constantly giving up fantastic surprises. I always enjoy the visits and almost always come away with something like a bucket lister or at least an unusual, interesting find. Past highlights for me included various seated silvers (in addition to more modern 20th century silvers), an Eagle Breast Plate from a CW cartridge box shoulder strap, a crotal bell, various military buttons in great shape, various brass and copper items including apothecary weights, thimbles, knapsack parts, flatware; and colonial flat buttons and various types of minie and round balls. These recent visits were no exception. And though my finds were relatively modest compared to some of the other incredible finds that have been recovered there over the years, many of which have been posted to this forum and have included banner recognition, I bave never come away disappointed.

The highlight of these visits for me was an 1850 Mexican First Republic 1/2 Reale but I also recovered several buttons (including an Eagle Coat in great shape and a small gold plated brass button), a partial 19th century religious medal, various minies and lead and other miscellaneous brass. Always worth the trip. Thanks for another great invite, Smokey. Wonder what happened on the journey that 1/2 Reale made from Mexico all the way north of the Mason-Dixon line only to be lost for over 150 years.

BTW - all these finds were recovered using the XP Deus or XP ORX. I am impressed with the ORX and have demonstrated that it can hold its own against the Deus. It is a great value and I don't think you will be disappointed if your budget does not support a full Deus setup. In fact, there are a few features on the ORX including iron volume for gold field mode, ground grab, and the large font Target ID display and iron probability meter that I find superior to Deus.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

20191214_170406.jpg

20191214_170255.jpg 20191214_170230.jpg

20191214_170317.jpg 20191214_170324.jpg

20191214_170311.jpg 20191214_170303.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the excellent hunt! :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one big hook/clip is cool. Maybe a gun or sword hanger. I found an 1851 French coin on a CW site, they used anything they had. Also, is the bottom right item a modern shotgun slug? I haven't posted mine yet. Tired.

BTW when we went out last one person did great, I got about 6 keepers, another two did fairly well, and one didn't dig any CW at all.

The GOOD NEWS is the farmer actually plows and the place is huge. I'm sure come spring he'll turn something up. Trouble is he plows and discs generally within 24 hours of each other and plants immediately.

Last edited:

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice silver coin from Mexico

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one big hook/clip is cool. Maybe a gun or sword hanger. I found an 1851 French coin on a CW site, they used anything they had. Also, is the bottom right item a modern shotgun slug? I haven't posted mine yet. Tired.

BTW when we went out last one person did great, I got about 6 keepers, another two did fairly well, and one didn't dig any CW at all.

The GOOD NEWS is the farmer actually plows and the place is huge. I'm sure come spring he'll turn something up. Trouble is he plows and discs generally within 24 hours of each other and plants immediately.

Yep forgot to mention the period brass fastener, that was cool too. Re: the shotgun slug, yeah, probably modern, but it was deformed solid lead so I threw it into the pic since I could not be certain if it was modern or not so I gave myself the benefit of the doubt. :laughing7: When others are digging gold and confederate buttons, I gotta make the most of my modest keepers. Ha! The many other recovered obvious modern bullets and casings, aluminum, nails, and coke pieces are in the junk bucket.

Thanks, as always, for the invite. Little by little, your advice sinks in and I get a little better at this relic detecting game.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt V! I love the design of the Mexican Reale. Looks like Smokey has a great permission. Congrats!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, don't think of it as a game, think of it as a quest!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I really like the rising sun imagery on the Mexican reales. It makes them so unique and distinctive. Thank you for sharing with us!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job I love that 1/2 reale thats a great score also the button and the pendant even though its looks to be broke I love that kind of find. Great hunt and thanks for sharing it. Tommy

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt, V! I also dug the same coin this season and thought 1850 but that might be an 1830. Great finds. Congrats.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, V! I also dug the same coin this season and thought 1850 but that might be an 1830. Great finds. Congrats.

You know what, I think you are right! Zoomed in on the pic and just could be, but might have to have a closer look with a loupe. Thanks.

kot63

Jan 14, 2019
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last two pictures parts of Russian byzantine cross 14-17 centuries ?

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on it all! I love those Reales that have the hat and rays on them. I've never found one but I do dream of it! Really neat stuff! Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions