Michelin valve stem cover

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my old digs and made some interesting finds. One Michelin valve stem cover and pocket change. Also found some old AC 44 spark plugs. Anyone have any idea of the date of the cover? Valve stem cover 1.jpg Valve stem cover 2.jpg Valve stem cover 3.jpg FindsOct.2015.JPG

Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched Google and found a few of them but they had wing nuts as well. Have no idea of the era - but we all know they are (for the most part) plastic now...
stems.jpg

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am GUESSING the cover is anywhere between 1894 and 1912. if you look at the link about halfway down on the right is what appears to be the same image. The link says it changed the looks of Bibendum (His name) in 1912 although I don't know how it was changed. But that does look like a dust cover off an old wood spoke tire. Very nice. None of mine have any image on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Man

VPNavy, Back then they make REAL parts. Quite possibly the wing nut screwed into the cap.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic find!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like yours , having the Michelin Man on it makes it that much cooler. Here is one I have dug. The wing is a seperate part from the cap,and not all one piece. Mine does not have the Michelin man on it but is marked with a 1905 patent date on the one piece that does spin separate from the wing and cap. Maybe yours is older.

DSC00021.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I can find a wing nut to put on it, like you have there. Would give it a better look for display.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find-I've never seen one of those before. Congratulations

Top Member Reactions