What's new

Misc pt 2

dump_digger

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
91
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loafstone and hammer stone. 20170107_165038.webp20170107_184419.webp
 
Upvote 0
,,,or very common round rocks
 
True, but I think when you say common I think it needs to be common to where? Because I've spent my entire life on this property and I wouldn't say that these round rocks are common. I'm not saying that it's not possible that they are natural, I put what I believe them to be based on my knowledge of artifacts and the property they came from. I honestly don't know how to tell a difference, but I joined this site to learn, so please feel on any of my posts to teach me! : )
 
I think apart from pecking and grinding visible on these types of artifacts that much of it is based on the environment like you were saying ...... I have some round grinding stones that if found walking a beach I may have left them behind but when they are in the middle of a field with no water anywhere in site you gotta take a closer look
 
one thing to look at is the patina...is the whole rock covered with a "skin" that is undisturbed or is the "skin" disturbed on one end...like this...and obvious hammer stone
 

Attachments

  • DSC01626.webp
    DSC01626.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 82
Dump Digger, I have to agree with the others. From what we can see in your pictures your stones look to be natural. I am going to post some Loafstones and Hammerstones I have found som you can the difference.

The first 7 pictures are of three Loafstones, two are made from Hematite and one is from Granite. All personal finds. You can see that these stone were shaped this way by pecking and grinding to get them to this desired product.

The last 5 are of Hammerstones and you can see were the stone was pecked and were the original outer cortex of the stone was left intact. Hammerstones will show these qualities on them.
 

Attachments

  • Cones and Loafstones (5).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (5).webp
    60.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Cones and Loafstones (4).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (4).webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Cones and Loafstones (3).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (3).webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Cones and Loafstones (2).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (2).webp
    99.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Cones and Loafstones (1).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (1).webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Cones and Loafstones (6).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (6).webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Cones and Loafstones (7).webp
    Cones and Loafstones (7).webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2016-05-07 20.25.34.webp
    2016-05-07 20.25.34.webp
    48 KB · Views: 78
  • 2016-05-07 20.25.42.webp
    2016-05-07 20.25.42.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Clark Farm (519).webp
    Clark Farm (519).webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Clark Farm (520).webp
    Clark Farm (520).webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Clark Farm (521).webp
    Clark Farm (521).webp
    26 KB · Views: 88
thanks, that really helps!
 
Good to see that you're willing to take the knowledgeable advice given freely here and keep learning!
 
Getting good advise from some very knowledgeable folks.


Buckleberry: You knap that E-notch point on your avatar
 
Getting good advise from some very knowledgeable folks.


Buckleberry: You knap that E-notch point on your avatar
I wish, it's a repro done by a guy named Harold Elam...a logo for some shirts I had made that you can still buy if you're interested PM me, plus I got it tattooed on my leg...OCD here fer sure ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom