What's new

Mississippi 5 Cent Tax Token

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
1,157
Reaction score
810
Golden Thread
0
Location
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Researched a site, located it, went to the Courthouse yesterday and got the owners name. Today I called him and left a message with my name and number, and about an hour later I got a call back. I thanked him for returning my call, gave him my name and reason for calling. Long story short, got permission for the rest of the month, super nice guy!

It was already almost 1:30 when I spoke with him, and thought I'd just wait to go another day, but since it's close, and I was excited about getting permission, I grabbed the DeLeon and took off.

Spent about 3 hours there, and found the Token early on. I thought it may have just been a fender washer until I got home and cleaned it up some. I was happy to have snagged a "keeper" today. I'm taking the Vaquero and spending most of the day Thursday back there. I'm hoping there's more there to be found, I pretty much like coin-shooting, so hoping to find at least a couple. Site had a log cabin on it, the current owner had it removed. Looks like there was a little "smearing" done with a 'dozer, and the site's overgrown, but I ain't complaining :laughing7:





I didn't spend much time digging lower signals, since it was a short day. I did find some lamp parts and harmonica reed. I'll be digging more when I go back with the Vaq.

 
Upvote 24
The token is in darn good shape.nice find!looks like you have quite the place to hunt there.
 
Should be some sweet relics there. Keep us posted.

HH, Relic Nut
 
Nice keeper C-n-C. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
 
Nice 5 mil tax token and harmonica reed...good finds[emoji106]
 
Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL TOKEN ...
 
Thanks all! Got things all ready to spend the day back there tomorrow. Being as the house was somewhat semi-recently demolished (I'd learned from speaking with the owner), I looked on Google Earth, went back to 1991, and there it was. So, I scaled it out and will now be able to get to the exact spot it sat. The pecan grove is still standing too, I was in it yesterday. 8-)

Weather is supposed to be real nice tomorrow too.

Pic of house which was there in the 1840's:
ScreenHunter_98 Jan. 12 19.08.webp
 
as chrisdigs stated, it's 5 mils (not 5 cents). a mil is 1/10th of a cent. I find depression era tax tokens here quite often. most are aluminum, so it's hard to find them in good shape any more.
 
as chrisdigs stated, it's 5 mils (not 5 cents). a mil is 1/10th of a cent. I find depression era tax tokens here quite often. most are aluminum, so it's hard to find them in good shape any more.

Didn't even catch that, thanks! First one (tax token) I've ever found, and just assumed it was "cents".

This was my 2nd senior moment in 3 days, I'm doomed. :sadsmiley:

ETA: Found a 3 year old post by Idahotokens which narrowed down the year to 1936-41.

Per Schimmel's U.S. State-Issued Sales Tax Tokens, Mississippi issued three different series of tax tokens. The ones used 1936-41 were aluminum for the 1 mill denomination and brass for the 5 mill. Yours are the former. Then in 1942 they issued white fiber and grey fiber 1 mill and red-brown fiber 5 mill tokens. Finally the 1943-52 series was off-white plastic and snow white plastic 1 mill and blue plastic 5 mills.
 
Last edited:
Nice token. I like finding those old State Tax Tokens.
 
Wow! I really want to find a 5 mil tax token. It's hard to find, so Congratz! I have found a handful of 1 mil tax tokens and a friend found a 5 mil in Louisiana, but so far the 5 has eluded my coil.
 
Thanks all! Got things all ready to spend the day back there tomorrow. Being as the house was somewhat semi-recently demolished (I'd learned from speaking with the owner), I looked on Google Earth, went back to 1991, and there it was. So, I scaled it out and will now be able to get to the exact spot it sat. The pecan grove is still standing too, I was in it yesterday. 8-)

Weather is supposed to be real nice tomorrow too.
Pic of house which was there in the 1840's:
Nice Token. Those 5 mils seem to be a lot more rare than the 1 mils.

That is a cool pic of that old house. We recently hunted a 1840s homestead and dug a total of 5 seated half dimes, 1 capped bust half dime, a half real, a seated dime, and some 1820's-40s era military buttons.. It was a great site. Wanting to go back there, but the finds have been slim on our last couple attempts.
After seeing that pic I'm thinking there has to be some silver in there waiting on ya.

Tax tokens are pretty common down here. Ive probably dug over 15 1 mil MS,AL and LA tokens, but only two 5 mils and they were both MS.
The 2 I have seem to be made out of brass or a brass alloy.
Most of the aluminum ones I have are pitted to hell, and some have extra holes in them.
 
I found a token just like it yours is the only other one I've seen, but I am in East Texas so maybe common in MS.
 
This place looks like it has POTENTIAL aplenty,let us see the gold-silver-copper "goodies". Dig everything to get down to the old stuff,a pain but it only leaves the worthwhile stuff finally.HH
 
Hadn't made a trip back yet, but weather permitting (temps), I plan on it early next week.

chrisdigs, I hope you knew my "thanks" went to you as well for catching my mistake :thumbsup:
 
I like the token. I found a Louisiana one a few weeks ago
 
Sweet token in great shape too. Good luck on the return digs
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom