Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends!

Wednesday was absolutely gorgeous here in NY, so of course I hit the woods. I went back to the area where I believe a colonial schoolhouse once stood. I brought Joe G. there last weekend and found two nice old coppers, two Indians, and some other nice goodies (see topic http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,148229.msg1062217.html#msg1062217).

Unfortunately I didn't manage to pull any old coins this time out, save for a chewed up 1951 Wheat, but I did find some nice relics. Some could use IDs, so please have a look. Here's what I dug:

• A musket ball (My first!!!) as well as two items that appear to be bullets (Pictured next to the ball. Never seen these before. What are they?)
  • A thick, bracelet-sized brass chain (what would've this been used for?)
  • Two old flat buttons. Both have backmarks: One I can't make out, while the other says, "Gold Color"
  • A piece of silver-plated spoon, seemingly old, stamped "RT," I believe
  • A fragment of a crotal bell
  • A small penknife-sized whatsit. It's two pieces, and opens with a spring button (Makeup related? It seems to have some reddish, lipstick-like residue inside.) It's stamped with some kind of name or writing, but tough to make out. It looks like "Marinello" or something to that effect.
  • A tiny circular brass or copper whatsit with little flowers encircling it. (Any ideas? Looks like a piece of something.)
  • 1951 Wheat

Not a great day by any means, but not horrible either. For me, the musket ball alone was worth getting out. Never handled one before. Man, I wouldn't have liked to have been clipped with one of those!

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned for more.

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• Musket Ball and Bullets.jpg
    Musket Ball and Bullets.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 980
  • Chain Brass.jpg
    Chain Brass.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 955
  • Buttons01.jpg
    Buttons01.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 936
  • Spoon Bell.jpg
    Spoon Bell.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 936
  • Whatsit01.jpg
    Whatsit01.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 924
  • Whatsit01 open.jpg
    Whatsit01 open.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 901
  • Whatsit02.jpg
    Whatsit02.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 916
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muleskinner said:
There's something about that chain,,, I would treasure that thing.

Yeah, right? I'm really pleasantly surprised. It was one of those super-unexpected finds....Which I think are often the sweetest. I'm going to have to find a nice way to display it...

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2pats said:
Those are cast lead wadcutter style bullets with the musket ball. They may be fairly recent as I cast these myself for a .38cal. handgun. Check for approx. .357" diameter. HH

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling they were bullets. I'll try and find out more info now that I have a general idea. Much appreciated!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny -- almost everything good at this spot seems to read as 5.5 inches down. Every time I get a signal like that my heart skips... fun!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Hunting there was just like fishing. Not a lot of bites, but every nibble gets your heart pumping. :) Love the musket ball and especially the chain. Very cool. I'll bring the video cam Sunday.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds keep up the great Posts !!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe G said:
It's funny -- almost everything good at this spot seems to read as 5.5 inches down. Every time I get a signal like that my heart skips... fun!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Hunting there was just like fishing. Not a lot of bites, but every nibble gets your heart pumping. :) Love the musket ball and especially the chain. Very cool. I'll bring the video cam Sunday.

Thanks Joe. I left a few coppers in the ground for ya. :wink:

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sealouse said:
great finds keep up the great Posts !!

Thanks Sealouse. As long as I can keep finding, I'll keep posting! Let's hope it works out that way. :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread