What's new

More Isaac Campbell Loops… Horseshoes Anyone?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,020
Reaction score
28,179
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Headed back for 2hrs to my favourite field this morning. Man, I just love when the fields have been disked; it’s like detecting a completely new field! Not a lot to show for my efforts this morning, but whenever you’re able to detect here in Ontario in December it’s a great day! :laughing7: My first find was the large horseshoe, followed by five IC loops, the porcelain doorknob and the telephone bell. It always amazes me how many of these telephone bells I find in farm fields, kids must’ve either played with them or maybe they were just tossed away as trash. :icon_scratch: I don’t think the screwdriver had been in the ground, it only had surface rust and cleaned up nicely on a brass wire wheel. :thumbsup:

This is Lilly sleeping on her favourite red pillow, dreaming about getting ready to jump up and bark at the squirrels outside her window! :tongue3:

Thanks for looking,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20151206_090747_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_090747_resized-crop.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20151206_084456_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_084456_resized-crop.webp
    122.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20151206_090148_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_090148_resized-crop.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20151206_090438_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_090438_resized-crop.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20151206_091359_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_091359_resized-crop.webp
    145.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20151206_164832_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_164832_resized-crop.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20151206_164812_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_164812_resized-crop.webp
    57 KB · Views: 124
  • 20151206_164718_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_164718_resized-crop.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20151206_161856_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_161856_resized-crop.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20151206_091433_resized-crop.webp
    20151206_091433_resized-crop.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20151203_191507_resized.webp
    20151203_191507_resized.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 22
That site certainly doesn't owe you anything..Well done on cleaning it out...sure there are still some goodies waiting....
 
How many of those have you found now?
 
Man, you have found a LOT of those hooks! Get out while you can Dave!
 
I was wondering if you had made it out today. Well done on some more loops and the ringer. It's great to be digging soft soils and + temps at this time of the year, and it looks like there's still more nice weather to coming!:hello2:
We really need to trade pups for a week. :)
 
Wonderful Stuff. I love the old doorknob, Congrats!
 
Amen brother when it comes to detecting in December when you live up north. Looks like the field has plenty of good targets churned up this year. You pulled some cool pieces.
 
Yep...December detecting isn't something to take for granted! If today was any indication I would say we have a couple good weeks of detecting left...of course it only takes a couple cold days to shut us down...but then I break out the CZ-6 and start hitting the beaches!
 
Always nice to get out in December..never heard of Isaac Campbell...looked him up...he made buckles for knapsacks around the civil war...from what I read....cool buckles.. Congrats
 
That site certainly doesn't owe you anything..Well done on cleaning it out...sure there are still some goodies waiting....

It sure has produced some interesting finds and these were all from a relatively small area of 50' x 50'.
I will often select a target area to detect whenever I'm here, I then grid it so I don't miss anything. :thumbsup:
Dave



How many of those have you found now?

Not including the broken bits... probably close to 140. :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your post etex,
Dave


Man, you have found a LOT of those hooks! Get out while you can Dave!

Thanks Dave, hope you're still getting out there too my friend! :thumbsup:


I was wondering if you had made it out today. Well done on some more loops and the ringer. It's great to be digging soft soils and + temps at this time of the year, and it looks like there's still more nice weather to coming!:hello2:
We really need to trade pups for a week. :)

Have you been out lately Jim?
I'm hoping to get onto a couple more sites by weeks end, as I'm down in London later this week.
I have another one of the County Atlas's sold (Huron), I'll be delivering it to Lucknow on Thursday.

Hope your doggy is behaving himself... leave those kitties alone! :laughing7:
Dave


Wonderful Stuff. I love the old doorknob, Congrats!
Thanks for your post kingskid! :hello:
This is the first complete porcelain doorknob I've found, I did find a 'Bennington' a few years ago, but it was chipped. :-\


Amen brother when it comes to detecting in December when you live up north. Looks like the field has plenty of good targets churned up this year. You pulled some cool pieces.
Thanks for your post Loco! :occasion14:
This field rarely fails to produce a keeper, but with it now having been disked, makes it a whole new ballgame! :thumbsup:
Dave


Yep...December detecting isn't something to take for granted! If today was any indication I would say we have a couple good weeks of detecting left...of course it only takes a couple cold days to shut us down...but then I break out the CZ-6 and start hitting the beaches!

You're lucky that you have the option of being able to 'beach hunt' in your area romeo... all I have is Lake Ontario! :laughing7:


Always nice to get out in December..never heard of Isaac Campbell...looked him up...he made buckles for knapsacks around the civil war...from what I read....cool buckles.. Congrats

Thanks for the information Brian! :thumbsup:
Hope you're still able to get some detecting time in before the snow flies.
Dave
 
Well done my man! Glad to see that you were able to get out and hunt.

I like the knapsack hooks (wink)!
 
If you need any help with horse shoes Limitool has the monopoly on them Dave.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris
 
Pretty cool hunt. .
Could you please edu- micate my dumb city A$$
What does it mean when you say, "the fields have been disked?"
 
Have you been out lately Jim?
I'm hoping to get onto a couple more sites by weeks end, as I'm down in London later this week.
I have another one of the County Atlas's sold (Huron), I'll be delivering it to Lucknow on Thursday.

Hope your doggy is behaving himself... leave those kitties alone! :laughing7:
Dave

I got out on the weekend with a mission to dig something and it was a nothing basically, except for a lot of iron. Good to hear that you've sold another Atlas.
 
Pretty cool hunt. .
Could you please edu- micate my dumb city A$$
What does it mean when you say, "the fields have been disked?"

The old way was to plough a field which was a complete turn of the soils, then the farmer would disk it to level out the soils. Now with the no-till ways soil management (basically it's easier to spray the weeds than till them under) the farmer will just till the soils a little to get it ready to plant.

DiscingField.webp
 
The old way was to plough a field which was a complete turn of the soils, then the farmer would disk it to level out the soils. Now with the no-till ways soil management (basically it's easier to spray the weeds than till them under) the farmer will just till the soils a little to get it ready to plant.

View attachment 1243985
Thanks Pepper,,
Now I can retire, buy a farm, get a gun, acquire a horse, wear me some boots, and DISC the hell out of those fields,,, YEEEEE HAAAAA
 
Thanks Pepper,,
Now I can retire, buy a farm, get a gun, acquire a horse, wear me some boots, and DISC the hell out of those fields,,, YEEEEE HAAAAA

Now make sure that the farm has lots of homesites, a battle site, tavern, and then you should be running NO DISC and digging everything. Then you can YEEEEE HAAAAA!
 
Well done my man! Glad to see that you were able to get out and hunt.

I like the knapsack hooks (wink)!

Thanks Tom, the mild December weather here in the north is definitely a blessing! :thumbsup:
Take care my friend,
Dave



If you need any help with horse shoes Limitool has the monopoly on them Dave.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Thanks for your post Chris and for your suggestion! :thumbsup:
No matter how many I find, I can't bring myself to even toss out the broken one! :laughing7:
Dave



Pretty cool hunt. .
Could you please edu- micate my dumb city A$$
What does it mean when you say, "the fields have been disked?"
Thanks for your question ATW! :occasion14:
I see that pepperj has already answered this very succinctly... thanks Jim! :thumbsup:

Here's a bit more info on the process...

The process of discing breaks up the turned soil and sod resulting from plowing. Proper farming practices can minimize and even eliminate the number of passes necessary with either a box scraper or land plane following discing and prior to drilling wheat. With the first pass discing, this allows for optimum breakup of the sod with each pass and also aids in filling in the low spots in the furrows created by the plow. The second pass with the disc is made across the path of the first pass. This increases the breakdown of the sod and continues to fill in low spots from plowing. Breaking up the top soil is important to allow for natural break down of the organic material, allow for proper airflow in the soil and create a bed that roots can properly develop and secure necessary nutrients for the plant.

Dave





I got out on the weekend with a mission to dig something and it was a nothing basically, except for a lot of iron. Good to hear that you've sold another Atlas.

What do i need with an atlas from Huron County anyway Jim! :laughing7:
The sale of just this one, pays for the other four that came with it!
I'll be heading back to the badge field in Northeast Toronto this morning for 5+hrs, hopefully something interesting will pop up now that the 'discing' has been done. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to getting together next Wednesday! :occasion14:
Dave


What are IC loops?

Thanks for your question...

Isaac Campbell loops were used on the British Military knapsacks. Starting life as S. Campbell & Company of London, the firm was banned from dealing with the English Government after accusations of corruption. Under the name of Isaac, Campbell & Co nigh-exclusively sold military hardware, including 1853 Pattern Enfield Swords, to the Confederacy at rates well above market, unconcerned with the inevitable usage of the arms or the financial effects of their overvalued sales. Having engaged in heavy speculation in Confederate currency, when the CSA went down, it took Isaac & Company with it."

Best of luck to you,
Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom