More Treasure from the DR in the News

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I had a fantastic opportunity...

We have always been on the outside of the glass looking in. Yesterday we went to GME in Tampa and met with Jason.

We were given the grand tour along with a comprehensive behind the scenes look at the operation. To have this opportunity to inspect the artifacts up close without a glass case in the way was rather exciting. We thoroughly enjoyed the detailed explanations Jason gave us on items in the process of preservation. The historical significance is amazing. There were many items that we have never seen in museums that were unusual and extremely interesting. To be able to touch these and simply feel the history... fantastic!

One item that caught my attention was a cluster of stick pins that had a flat metallic object protruding from the side of the crusted mass. It's very intriguing and I'd volunteer to help in the preservation just to find out what's in the middle! (post a pic when that happens please)

It was well worth the drive over. I'm impressed at the professionalism everyone at GME has with the preservation of historical artifacts.

I'm looking forward to many great things from them. Keep the pictures coming Jason- you are helping to keep the dream alive!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was great to have you two in for a tour Larry, seeing the interest you both took in the history and details of the artifacts was great. I will definitely post pictures of the mystery object, but I'm not sure I want to break up the conglomerate of the pins so it will be tricky. I'm going to try to remove just the coral covering the top of the object with an air-scribe so we can get an ID and then decide from there. There are many more artifacts waiting to be divided, so when they arrive maybe we can have you guys over for some hands-on experience (pending approval from the boss man of course). We enjoyed it as much as you two did, glad you could make it over.

Jason

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread