MOST dangerous Situations you have been in while Detecting

ThreeRing

Mar 16, 2019
North Shore Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newbie on this site. Between 30 and 40 years ago I was digging a dump in Beltsville, Maryland about this time of of year, ground mostly frozen. I pulled an ancient tire rim from the dump and tossed it aside, Almost immediately I was "attacked" by an irate weasel who had been wintering inside that old tire rim. While not in fear of my life it was one of the scariest moments I have spent in the woods seeking relics.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie on this site. Between 30 and 40 years ago I was digging a dump in Beltsville, Maryland about this time of of year, ground mostly frozen. I pulled an ancient tire rim from the dump and tossed it aside, Almost immediately I was "attacked" by an irate weasel who had been wintering inside that old tire rim. While not in fear of my life it was one of the scariest moments I have spent in the woods seeking relics.
Maybe he was kin to the"Wild Weasels" of Vietnam fame.F105 pilots who,d fly low and slow to entice the SAM batteries to turn on their radar so they could blow them up.

23Scooter

Greenie
Mar 23, 2021
Westmoreland County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, CTX 3030, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found what I thought was a vacant church property. I got my gear and walked towards the back of the church and stopped to noise cancel and ground balance. I heard something from over by the church. There was a basement entrance and a stairwell there. At the top of the stairwell was the biggest damn german shepard Iā€™ve ever seen just standing there eyeballing me. I tried to play it off and not react and just kept fiddling with my detector, not knowing if the dog was chained or loose. After a moment or two I heard the door to the basement open and somebody call the dogā€™s name to come inside. A fella proceeded to come out and ask me what I was doing and to please leave. Rule #1, always ask permission. Even when the place looks deserted..ā€¦.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I thought was a vacant church property. I got my gear and walked towards the back of the church and stopped to noise cancel and ground balance. I heard something from over by the church. There was a basement entrance and a stairwell there. At the top of the stairwell was the biggest damn german shepard Iā€™ve ever seen just standing there eyeballing me. I tried to play it off and not react and just kept fiddling with my detector, not knowing if the dog was chained or loose. After a moment or two I heard the door to the basement open and somebody call the dogā€™s name to come inside. A fella proceeded to come out and ask me what I was doing and to please leave. Rule #1, always ask permission. Even when the place looks deserted..ā€¦.
Scooter i have to say some dogs can be very scary !!!

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
I think I have only been in one potentially dangerous situation while detecting.
I was on my knees recovering a target in a campground offseason.
From the corner of my eye, I noticed movement in the trees nearby and noticed a man standing just inside the wood line holding a baseball bat.
I made like I didn't hear him, he stepped out of the woods towards me and I stood up so that he could see what was in the holster on my hip.
Never seen someone back off so quickly.
So that's it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread