Most shocking find ever

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I am just recovering from covid and I am cleared out of isolation. I am out walking the river banks, just happy to get out of the house and hopefully find a bottle or something. I live in Charleston SC and just about anywhere you go, history can be found. This specific area I have found Civil and Rev war items, many bottles and some occasional odds and ends. Heck the one day I found a 50.00 bill and could not wait to have it displayed in my man cave. Long story short, my wife spent it. Anyway back to what this is all about, I walked a couple miles and started to turn around and something caught me eye. I wasn't sure what it was but it looked like pig teeth, I didn't have much on me except a knife and began digging around it. I certainly was not prepared to be dig up something. I moved aside some seaweed and noticed another row of a few teeth ( this is when I snapped a photo). Well with the tide coming in an I was not wearing glasses I did not realize what I was digging. To me I still thought I was digging a palate of a peccary or pig, it also made it difficult due to the tide kept coming in and filling up everything I just cleared.

Once I was confident I had enough removed from the sides I put my hand in the murky salt water and to my shock I pulled a human skull from the hole. Well i dropped it, said some choice words and jumped away from it. I never thought in a million years I would ever find something like this, but I also figured the best thing to do was contact the police. Well with no cell tower I carried it back to my car and contacted the police. I figured I would go for a short walk and ended up spending many hours with the police. My hope is that it could give some family closure or help the solve a case. We waited for the coroner but they were unable to make it so they took the skull as they where also unsure of the jurisdiction. I was told they would be in touch as well as I may get some questions from the coroner.

They did ask why I did not leave it where I found it, but after they realized it was tide dependent they agreed that I did the right thing. I dont think I will ever forget this find and it is by far my most memorable find to date. I have been asked so many times what is the strangest thing I ever found, well I have the perfect answer now. Has anyone else ever found anything like this?

Also if you have any input on the age or something please let me know.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 586
Upvote 37

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately they are a common occurrence around here with all the native american shell midens.To many to report ,no one interested and the river ends up taking them home. Did find a guy hung up on a log. Had a leather jacket on. Tied him off and went and got the police and helped get him out with my boat. It was a sad day. He escaped a mental hospital and tried to swim across the Tn river. No telling what these shorelines hold.
My fear has always been to be hunting CW stuff and get a button hit and then there be a burial. That is one I would make sure got reentered.
Stay safe out there and thanks for the story.Glad you are recovered from the Covid.
Now go have a happy hunt!

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing the skull is fairly recent- this century or so. And they will definitely be going back to look for the rest of the skeleton. Your find has a much better chance of being identified now than at any other time in history. DNA has been the biggest boon to mankind in my lifetime (70 years). Great recovery and I hope everyone's questions about it get answered.

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I voted banner. If finding it means it will at least get an appropriate burial its worth more than a $50 gold piece.

I agree, it this skull can give a family closure and or get an appropriate burial it is worth more than a piece of gold to me. Have any one joined lostmystuff.net ? I have had a few opportunities to search for an two engagement and one Gold class ring.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am glad you are feeling better after Covid and this find is pretty significant. All the best in clearing up the mystery...Thanks for sharing....

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's modern due to the color of that 3rd molar that I'd peg as an implant (but I have complained about my monitor before... so...) and the relative lack of ocean wear and tear. I don't see the shovel-shaping someone mentioned and I'd peg the maxilla as being Caucasoid due to the palate shape and the little part of the seam that I can make out. Really, that's not a lot of wear for something roughed up by waves and sand... compare it with 20 years worth of patina on beach glass.

With so few remains, a forensic anthropologist would be hard put to determine much from it but you did what you could and for your part I'll say thank you on behalf of the person who can't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread