What's new

Musket ball extractor??

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
1,372
Reaction score
37
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all, I was out over the summer in an area that has Revolutionary War history. I set aside this piece thinking that it must be a concrete drill. I got bored and looked at it closer under the loop and discovered that it is made of what appears to be some sort of copper like material. I scraped a tiny spot on the tang. I am wondering if this could be a black powder cleaning jag. Has anyone ever found anything like this? I did find some pewter items suggesting the proper age. Thank you for any thoughts on this.
 

Attachments

  • DSC08687.webp
    DSC08687.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC08688.webp
    DSC08688.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC08689.webp
    DSC08689.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC08690.webp
    DSC08690.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC08691.webp
    DSC08691.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC08692.webp
    DSC08692.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC08692.webp
    DSC08692.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 725
  • DSC08691.webp
    DSC08691.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 644
  • DSC08690.webp
    DSC08690.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC08689.webp
    DSC08689.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC08688.webp
    DSC08688.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC08687.webp
    DSC08687.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 450
I've been shooting muzzle loaders for about 40 years, and I've done a lot of research, history etc. regarding those style of guns. What you have does not look like any ball puller I've ever run across. There is no way to attach it to a ramrod or a cleaning rod, and I don't think there is any way it would screw into a lead ball. It's hard enough with a sharp pointed puller. I'm thinking perhaps some research on older methods of cutting threads might be in order. Eli Whitney developed the concept of interchangeable parts. Before that, a gun smith would file the threads on a screw or bolt, drill the hole for it to go into, heat the part red hot and actually use the screw to cut/press the inside threads on the gun part. This looks like something that might cut threads into hot metal. I'll be the first to admit that I'm just guessing.
 
Upvote 0
BosnMate said:
I've been shooting muzzle loaders for about 40 years, and I've done a lot of research, history etc. regarding those style of guns. What you have does not look like any ball puller I've ever run across. There is no way to attach it to a ramrod or a cleaning rod, and I don't think there is any way it would screw into a lead ball. It's hard enough with a sharp pointed puller. I'm thinking perhaps some research on older methods of cutting threads might be in order. Eli Whitney developed the concept of interchangeable parts. Before that, a gun smith would file the threads on a screw or bolt, drill the hole for it to go into, heat the part red hot and actually use the screw to cut/press the inside threads on the gun part. This looks like something that might cut threads into hot metal. I'll be the first to admit that I'm just guessing.

Thank you for that information. I too used to hunt with muzzle loader and have had the unfortunate fun of pulling a ball more than once. This thing is pretty big for something like that unless it was used on a cannon ball ha ha... I'll keep at it who knows the mystery will be solved someday. Thanks again.
 
Upvote 0
looks to be a tap for wood,could be wrong
 
Upvote 0
I'm leaning towards what rocky has suggested.. The threads are not the usual wood or metal screw, bolt type. Looks more like the threads used on wooden dowels, handles, or inserts threaded into wood.

wood thread set.webp
 
Upvote 0
Now that could be a great possibility. It does have one flute on it and it is made of a copper like material so would not have been used on metal. I'll do some research on that. Thanks again for your help with this.
 
Upvote 0
on some log cabin building they used dowels.......could check that way too
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is for cutting threads in wood. It appears to be made of brass not copper, witch would not hold a cutting edge for long.
it may be an early Black powder jag of some sort? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • opplanet-kleen-bore-brass-cleaning-jags-44-45-caliber-jag-231.webp
    opplanet-kleen-bore-brass-cleaning-jags-44-45-caliber-jag-231.webp
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,194
Upvote 0
Not a ball puller - they have a fine point like a wood screw. You have to be able to drill into the lead with hand pressure.

Possibly a cleaning jag - but how would it attach to a ramrod?

I think you were closer with the masonry drill.
 
Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Not a ball puller - they have a fine point like a wood screw. You have to be able to drill into the lead with hand pressure.

Possibly a cleaning jag - but how would it attach to a ramrod?

I think you were closer with the masonry drill.

I am stumped with this. I originally thought cleaning jag when I posted on 'todays finds'. This thing is made of either copper or brass so can't cut threads. I have no idea how it would attach to a ramrod unless the tang is broken off somehow. It looks pretty crude on the tang and sort of rectangular so maybe it was broken or fitted into some other adapter. I have looked all over the place online and no luck yet finding a match. I appreciate all the feedback on this. Should I find out what it is I will certainly let you all know.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe an old wood bit? Older than these. folder 2 108.webp
 
Upvote 0
Just some ideas that I think of when I see worm screw threads like that,Vises & C-clamp.Just throughing it out there as no one has mentioned it yet.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2897-1[1].webp
    DSCN2897-1[1].webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 450
  • $(KGrHqIOKi!E3)BkPHU5BN-Fr+FRsw~~0_3[1].webp
    $(KGrHqIOKi!E3)BkPHU5BN-Fr+FRsw~~0_3[1].webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 415
  • b5dd_1[1].webp
    b5dd_1[1].webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 360
  • c clamps[1].webp
    c clamps[1].webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • c-clamp-ads-002[1].webp
    c-clamp-ads-002[1].webp
    34 KB · Views: 363
  • il_fullxfull.268794146[1].webp
    il_fullxfull.268794146[1].webp
    67.1 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
By the way yes the did make brass clamps.......




Three Sewing Clamps, 19th century, a cast brass clamp with bronze patina topped with a pincushion holder above cherub and dolphin figures, with spring action device under the dolphin's tail, foliate decorated c-clamp and threaded thumbscrew, a cast iron clamp with spring mechanized fabric holder, pierced thumbscrew, a brass hemming bird clamp with pierced heart-shaped thumbscrew, (minor wear), ht. 8 3/4, 6 1/2, 5 1/2 in.
Estimate $500-700
 

Attachments

  • 617669[1].webp
    617669[1].webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0
Those clamps are awesome. It could be a drive screw but I'm not sure why mine would have what appears to be a cutting flute or a grabber flute like on a cleaning jag. The copper/brass material has me stumped too. A match for this will come along someday that is the fun of finding these weird pieces. Thanks for all your pictures and replies.
 
Upvote 0
Ed-NH said:
Those clamps are awesome. It could be a drive screw but I'm not sure why mine would have what appears to be a cutting flute or a grabber flute like on a cleaning jag. The copper/brass material has me stumped too. A match for this will come along someday that is the fun of finding these weird pieces. Thanks for all your pictures and replies.
Just giving out a few ideas. :wink: But I'm not so sure that grove was always there myself.Sure would not work or cut very well with the groves all messed up & clogged. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • DSC08687[1].webp
    DSC08687[1].webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
Notice the straight groove on a tap.Yours is not straight & does not appear to go all the way to the end.And the other end is even got two grooves starting.
 

Attachments

  • Quarter_Inch_Tap_2_[1].webp
    Quarter_Inch_Tap_2_[1].webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC08687[1].webp
    DSC08687[1].webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
Just wanted to end with I've not ruled out cleaning jag.But with your pics it's hard to tell the diameter. :wink:
 

Attachments

  • BN1100-1[1].webp
    BN1100-1[1].webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 259
  • NB1205[1].webp
    NB1205[1].webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0
OK my best & final answer for your piece.It's clear to me it was met to screw just from looking at it & the way the threads are at a slant.Therefore I think you have a part to a old bottle opener.As seen below....................
Now I'm done :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • edjay1[1].webp
    edjay1[1].webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 229
  • edjay3[1].webp
    edjay3[1].webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 469
  • bonus[1].webp
    bonus[1].webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 269
  • bonus2[1].webp
    bonus2[1].webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 477
  • edjay3[1].webp
    edjay3[1].webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
Pete that sure does fit the bill! Brass material would make perfect sense as would the screw threads. Just to let you know the diameter is about the same as a 3/8" bolt. You have done some really nice research on this. I'm not very good at that kind of research.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom